This is a mega-project which has spanned decades.
by operating system:
- Digital editing
- Remote controlling software
- Samba networking
Web houses everything internet-related.
One of the problems with open source software is that the world gets cluttered with unfinished but well-intentioned projects. Those same unfinished projects will tend to thwart the attempts of others, as one would tend to not start up a project with a good intention if one sees that someone else may be working on that same idea.. even if that other project has gone stale.
The stuff we call "software" is not like anything that human society is used to thinking about. Software is something like a machine, and something like mathematics, and something like language, and something like thought, and art, and information . . . but software is not in fact any of those other things. The protean quality of software is one of the great sources of its fascination. It also makes software very powerful, very subtle, very unpredictable, and very risky.
Linux software to check out ∞
- Category:Software that uses Qt
lxqt-panel might be good, if I could figure out how to make it look normal.
Linux FLTK media stuff ∞
- /tag/fltk-software (to be populated eventually)
- Category:Software that uses FLTK
- abcmidi - abc notation to midi and midi to abc conversion
- abcm2ps - abc notation to sheet music in PDF format
- sox - Sound eXchange
- fast and light recorder, FLTK front end for sox
- gramofile - record records and other input, has pop filter
- Xiph.org has several useful command line programs and libraries
- Soundtouch library and program to change tempo, pitch and playback rates (library used by audacity)
Paul Stretch stretches audio
Windows software to check out ∞
- With newsgroup-like messaging, private encrypted messages, file upload and download functionality and a file sharing system
- Resource Hacker™ has been designed to be the complete resource editing tool: compiling, viewing, decompiling and recompiling resources for both 32bit and 64bit Windows executables. Resource Hacker™ can open any type of Windows executable (*.exe; *.dll; *.scr; *.mui etc) so that individual resources can be added modified or deleted within these files. Resource Hacker™ can create and compile resource script files (*.rc), and edit resource files (*.res) too.
- Resource Hacker is a freeware utility to view, modify, rename, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables and resource files (*.res). It incorporates an internal resource script compiler and decompiler and works on Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, Win2000 and WinXP operating systems.
Daphne -- Process viewer
TODO - Really ancient software notes ∞
Man, this stuff goes WAY back.. Windows "3.12" days.
TODO - Update these ancient notes and put them where they belong. Much of these concerns are already resolved or the software is obsolete anyway.
- does not sort by filename like it says it does! it sorts by extension!!
rcvtshould show the space it saved from the conversion/batch conversion
- deal with 4DOS description of the original archive name
rcvtshould be able to time/date stamp according to the newest file inside the archive
Internet/Netscape/Winsock/Other (Windows 3.1)
crashed when I've got 256c wallpaper - many *weird* problems like improper screen refreshes
Norton Utilities (DOS, last version)
diskedit- cannot edit the seconds stamp, or edit time/date to an invalid value
smartcan- it's renaming of executables plays havoc with ThunderByte Antivirus'
smartcan- limit of 9999k for backups -- sucks
unerase- when tagging files (space), it should automatically move to the next line down.
Plug-In For Windows 3.1
control-escape, and switch (double-click) to a minimized task doesn't work!
Wayfarer (Windows 3.1)
shouldn't display the active program on the toolbar!
- the file search function should be able to start at a given file base
with a batch download, when downloading several files which are already complete, it should remove them from the queue!
ONTRACK's Disk Manager
- should not delay so damned long to boot to disk
when booting from disk, be able to abort!
when in 'run', be able to specify a directory, then press browse - and be sent there!
there should also be a
- Information Wants to be Valuable
- Warez, abandonware and the software industry
- The Case of the Quake Cheats
- The Careware Idea
https://web.archive.org/web/20200511063607/https://freedomsponsors.org/ -- Free software crowdfunding.