TODO - there are a lot of other notes in deep archives
- The official DOS version is abandoned.
- An an open source version was released for FreeDOS, but it appears to be abandoned.
The Windows version was called 4NT, but later renamed to TCC/LE
- Scripts can be found under https://github.com/spiralofhope/shell-random/tree/master/dead/4DOS
- Uses descript.ion for extended file information.
See also Batch file programming
https://www.4dos.info/ was 4xbtm.de
DOS continuation ∞
They released the source code and this project was continued by others.
The last version I see noted is Build 200 (Version 8.00) — 27 February 2009.
- Was https://web.archive.org/web/20100724203153/http://www.4dos.hit.bg:80/ .. which is gone. (archive)
It moved hosts to 4dos.zzl.org/ which is gone.
- Based on Rex Conn's release of build 132's source code.
- A supposed mirror was http://4dos7.extra.hu/ .. but it was never actually put there.
- Mirror 1 - http://hu.dotroll.com .. is gone and has no archive.
- Mirror 2 - http://4dos.ilbello.com .. is gone and has no archive.
Mirror 3 - 4dos.isgreat.org/ .. is gone.
There was also 4dos.tk/ .. which is gone and has no archive.
- I don't know what this website's association to the other project is.
dirwithout the time/date
REBOOTpauses for a second! Not always necessary if you've got 100% compatible software (e.g. cache) !!
- give a "hot" boot, like
boot.com(make it intelligent so it will pick another way to boot if
boot.com's method would hang?
- be able to boot from a floppy through a
%@ATTRIBwon't work if in a long directory string (
ted3.bat) if it's in a
tabwhile in the middle of typing up a description
- if, say, one
pagedownfrom a text, with
wmultiple times will page down more..
rdbe able to remove nested subdirs too (not have to use
TEXTshould have a switch to allow the expansion of variables
- Gives memory access errors under Windows 95 if used as the primary shell
- be able to have the command history available after a command separater (
^) as per
bla<cr> --then--> bla^<up>=
- should have consistancy between 4dos and tcmd so the commands are the SAME.. having to make the conversion is a fucking pain in the ass.
- should store all descriptions as the short form of a name -- or at least make a best guess when displaying everything in non-windows DOS
alt-bkspto delete the word to the left. This appears to be a scancode problem...
TAKE COMMAND ∞
- have list be aware of that buggered-up font that windows uses in its "text" files.
- put in a feature to have tcmd replace the windows desktop
alt-backspacedoes not delete the word to the right like in 4dos!
- be able to import 4dos settings & convert them!
alt-f4in the console should be as per typing
exit-- triggers aliases etc... (can be done by the user!)
should be more intelligent about replacing / supplementing 4dos
Ancient notes ∞
move/sdon't handle subdirectory descriptions -- they should also be able to overwrite the descriptions properly or ignore descript.ions.
control-tabshould be able to press the first letter/digit in a filename to quickly jump to that digit
%@FILESEEKLreturns the offset bytes not the line number!!
Klaus Meinhard's Homepage -- He had retired himself.. but he brought it back up and then moved it. He had reportedly disbanded and other people had picked up his stuff:
- "My collection of 4DOS (and 4NT) related stuff (old program versions, batches, documents, etc.) has found a new home at Robin Y. Milette's site" - https://web.archive.org/web/20040831235154/http://4xbtm.waglo.com:80/ (archive)
- http://www.quasatron.com/ -- The vanilla DOS pages D-Links and D-Tools are now in the hands of Kenneth C. Mazie
-- 2016-12-25 - I don't see a reference to it.
4dos bugs with an experimental DOS network setup ∞
- Will misreport and say it can't find a file after deleting one, then if I delete something else, it'll misreport and say it can't delete the ORIGINAL file, but pointing towards the new directory.
No hidden files.