A boy skips school, is assaulted by bullies then hides from them in a bookstore which he then robs, then hides out in his school's attic to read.
An extraordinarily powerful movie.
There's a certain feeling with movies in the 1980's which were positioned for children but had unashamedly-adult themes running through them. The Neverending Story has, at its core, themes of literacy, imagination, will, loss, hope and determination.
- First translated into English, in 1983, by Ralph Manheim
- The Neverending Story - (1984 movie)
- The NeverEnding Story 2 - (1990 movie)
- 3:30 -- "We can't let mom's death be an excuse for not the old job done, right?"
5:30 -- Casual bullying.
- 5:45 -- Running down an ally when being chased seems like a bad idea.
- 6:15 -- "Maybe the chicken can lay an egg in there."
- 6:45 -- Those are different bullies? I never noticed in all these years.
- 7:30 -- .. small rectangular objects? What website do I download those from? Maybe I can 3D-print one?
7:30 -- He has 186 of them at home.
- Treasure Island (1983 book), by Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Last of the Mohicans (1826 book), by James Fenimore Cooper
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900-05-17 book), by L. Frank Baum
- See also The Wizard of Oz - (1939 movie)
- The Lord of the Rings (1954-07-29 book), by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870 book), by Jules Verne
- Tarzan of the Apes (1912+ book), by Edgar Rice Burroughs
- 8:45 -- Tarzan, Robinson Crusoe
- 9:15 -- Damn this is a proper kid's movie. Back in the day they had balls.
- 11:00 -- Casual tardiness.
- 12:30 -- Narration.
14:30 -- Limestone
- 15:30 -- Quartz
- 18:00 -- Bat, Snail
23:30 -- Atreyu
- 27:30 -- .. take this orin.
- 37:00 -- Turtle
- 45:00 -- Wow he's adorable!
- 48:15 -- See also The Princess Bride - (1987 movie)
- 60:00 -- He's a dick to books.
- 1:03:00 -- Actually that was just another test, one that he failed. Roll credits.
1:14:30 -- .. and this is what makes the movie:
Gmork: Foolish boy. Don'tcha know anything about Fantasia? It's the world of human fantasies. Every part, every creature, is a piece of the dreams, and hopes, of mankind. Therefore it has no boundary.
Atreyu: But why is Fantasia dying, then?
Gmork: Because people have begun to lose their hopes, and forget their dreams. So The Nothing grows stronger.
Atreyu: What is The Nothing?
Gmork: It's the emptiness that's left. It is like a despair, destroying this world. And I have been trying to help it.
Atreyu: But why?!
Gmork: Because people who have no hopes are easy to control. And whoever has the control, has the power.
- 1:22:00 -- I remember being wildly attracted to that actor.
- 1:25:45 -- "Call my name!"
- 1:26:00 -- I can't hear what name he called out. That seems wrong to me.
1:29:30 -- The wheel turns, and the bullied becomes the bully.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. -- Yoda, Star Wars - (1977 movie)
1:31:00 -- Narration.
- Mysterious narration.