An excellent recipe, though I prefer the fatty and sweet version.
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons water or rice milk
3 cups dates
- This turns out to be 1,500g (1 1/2 lbs). This was a small package and a half of dates.
- 2 cups water
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175C)
- Combine filling ingredients in a pot
- Simmer until the filling is mushy and soft, and the water has evaporated
- Combine the dry ingredients for the crust in a mixing bowl
- Add the oil, and mix
Add the remaining wet ingredients and mix well
- I also added some corn starch and water to try to congeal / harden the crust. It worked fairly well.
- Press half of the crust mixture in the bottom of a 25 x 30 centimeter (10 x 12 inch) baking pan
- Add the filling overtop of the crust mixture (don't mix it in)
- Cover the filling with the rest of the crust mixture (don't mix it in)
- Press the filling down gently so it's even
- Bake for about 35 minutes
Cut and let cool
This is a much faster recipe because there is no cooling time for the filling and no butter creaming.
This is sugar free, and remarkably tasty. I'd still vary this by adding sugar.