This is the notion of "freezing" Windows in time, such that it can work as-expected but be "rolled back" to a previous state.
FIXME - link an archive: social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=windowssteadystate
I'm also lumping similar projects into this page, for reference.
See also Snapshot (computer storage)
Steady State ∞
Windows SteadyState [discontinued] does imaging which is disk-intensive.
- Group Policy Settings for Creating a Steady State
- Creating a Steady State by Using Microsoft Technologies
What one guy does:
- Symbolic link user folders and data to equivalents on the D Drive, and continue keeping their Documents on the NAS.
- SafeGuard / Guest Mode the user accounts and use Disk Protection on the
C:Drive to revert the contents on reboot.
Use AppLocker to eliminate the possibility of running anything un-sanctioned.
Similar tools ∞
- Clean Slate
- Decent, but it looks like I'd probably want their anti-executable product too, and maybe a third app. Hrm.
- $45 CAD
- requires internet access. lolwut?
- Doesn't seem good to me..
- Snapshot-based, not what I want?
- Snapshot-based, can boot those shapshots as virtual machines, neat!
Comodo Time Machine [gone]
- Was free, snapshot-based
- Does not support SSD/TRIM! Cannot install with a Linux partition visable!
- FIXME - link an archive: www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/data-recovery.php
Wondershare Time Freeze 2.0 [gone]
- Virtual system software for 32&64-bit Windows 7/XP/Vista