This is a kind of "open pie".
- Oven (350 F)
- Baking dish (13x9x2")
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Small knife
- (optional) Apple coring tool
- Measuring cups
Bottom Ingredients ∞
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup soy or rice milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fruit Ingredients ∞
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
Grease your dish
- Greased with what? Maybe a bit of oil? I'm not sure..
Mix the bottom ingredients together in a separate bowl
- If you really wanted to, you could probably omit the mixing bowl and mix everything directly in the baking dish. This removes the "grease", whatever that is supposed to be.
Pour the bottom ingredients into your dish.
- Pat them down?
Thinly slice your apples
- Thinly slicing is important for proper cooking/texture and for easier eating.
Add the apples on top of the bottom ingredients. Do not mix them in.
- Pat them down?
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top
Bake at 350F degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until crust is brown and fruit is tender.
- Let cool for how long?
What I did / Thoughts ∞
- I used whole wheat
- 6 small apples, one very finely chopped for the base
- no applesauce to moisten
- extra applejuice
- did not "grease", and I did not use oil
- 3 sprinkles of white sugar on top
- Unfortunately I way-overcooked this, which probably ruined it.
- I didn't peel the apples, which made for a really terrible experience. I should have just used a potato peeler.
The base was salty and very bready.
I really didn't like this, but I also don't think I made it correctly.
This turned into a sort of bread with apples on top. I think I over-cooked it.
Besides, I strongly prefer the apple crisp recipes that I've been playing with. This either being vegan or being sugar-free doesn't really sell this recipe to me. I'd rather have something sweet, and I'm not so concerned about animal products.
Cutting and serving was hard, and storage was awkward. I made this in a round baking bowl and not a rectangular baking tray. I don't recommend anyone do that..