A wiki is an open documentation system best thought of as a fast collaborative knowledgebase engine.
- About These Essays, by Bob Frankston, my reply has some wiki-related thoughts.
- A wiki has been a part of my content management system history for some time.
- Switched to my own Compiled Website.
- I used MediaWiki.
- I had used a couple of wikis in the past.
Before a wiki I used hand-edited HTML files.
Like a weblog, a wiki allows one to take a snapshot of one's opinion, but a wiki can also organize them and keep them available for updating.
A weblog presents itself as a set of items in date-order. A wiki does this through it's page revision history.
People who randomly surf and end up staying will usually have a contribution to make if it's easy to do so.
Pages no longer develop significant cruft. If a person is interested enough to read a page, then editing it isn't a huge leap. Maintenance becomes a part of use.
The largest example of a wiki is the Wikipedia, the world's largest collaboratively-edited encyclopeia.
Wiki engines ∞
- static compiled website engines
- Fossil has a wiki within it.
- Slash's wiki plugin
- This is particularly intriguing. I disagree with a number of their fundamental choices (not using /endtag, some markup choices, etc) but they're pretty solid.
- Ruby wikis
- Neato, a hacker's simple wiki.
- A simple wiki written in C.
Lua Wikis ∞
- Tested 2009-04-17 - (version not recorded) on (distribution not recorded)
- No page access control.
- Forced to preview before saving. Fail.
- As of 2009-04-17, last released 2004-06-07. Fail.
Python Wikis ∞
- 2009-04-17 - Very pretty. Not organized in the way I would prefer. Has no ability to link between notebooks, which is ultra-fail. Looks like it has mangled URLs, so it's anti-SEO.
- 2009-04-17 - Well.. as usual c2's WikiEngines page is 5 years out of date. Its Python wiki projects are all shite.
- 2009-04-17 - Why bother with a wiki that's been spammed to death?
- 2009-04-17 - last updated 2006-06-28
cpy - CyberPublishing, pYthon edition
- 2009-04-17 - Lacks a lot of fundamental features, like versioning.
- Wiki, on Wikipedia
- Free MediaWiki hosting.
- Converts HTML to various wiki markup languages.
- The portland pattern repository wiki. A horribe mess of an old wiki.
Last updated 2021-05-20 at 22:14:53