Taken from a back of a bag of Quaker(R) Oatmeal.
Ingredients, Crust ∞
- 375 mL (1 ½ cups) all purpose flour
- 2 mL (½ tsp) baking soda
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking powder
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) salt
- 250 mL (1 cup) soft margarine
- 250 mL (1 cup) brown sugar, packed
375 mL (1 ½ cups) Quaker Oats (any variety, uncooked)
Ingredients, Filling ∞
- 500 mL (2 cups) chopped dates
- 75 mL (⅓ cup) cold water
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- ½ grated rind of an orange
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) orange juice
5 mL (1 tsp) lemon juice
- Oven that can reach 160°C (325°F)
- Baking dish, approximately 20x35cm (8" x 14"), shallow.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
Instructions, Filling ∞
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F)
- Put chopped dates, water, orange rind and brown sugar into small saucepan.
- Cook over a moderate heat until thick and smooth
- Remove from heat
- Add orange and lemon juice
- Mix well
Set aside until cool.
Instructions, Crust ∞
Grease the baking dish.
- I don't know what that means.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Rub margarine into the mixture with your fingertips.
- Add brown sugar and Quaker Oats, mixing well with your fingertips.
- Wash your hands.
- Spread half of this mixture into the baking dish.
- Smooth the mixture that's in the baking dish by patting it down.
- Add the cooked and cooled filling into the baking dish, spreading it evenly.
- Add the remaining crust mixture into the baking dish on top of the filling. Spread it evenly.
- Smooth the top filling layer that's in the baking dish by patting it down.
- Bake at 160°C (325°F) for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Increase heat slightly and bake for a few minutes longer, to lightly brown mixture.
- Cut into squares while hot
Allow to cool in pan.
Yields 32 squares.
Nutritional facts ∞
- 146 Calories
- 23 g Carbohydrates
- 6.1 g Fat
1.5 g Dietary Fibre