A hitman is witnessed just after a job, and becoming a suspect pushes his employers put a hit out on him.
While I can imagine this being really cool at the time, it certainly isn't any more. It has a slow moody atmosphere with a main character stiff enough to be a walking corpse. It's also just shy of being a silent film.
I only finished watching it because of the similarity Ghost Dog - (1999 movie) has with it, because I like that movie.
2:00 -- Narration.
Il n'y a pas de plus profonde solitude que celle du samouraï si ce n'est celle d'un tigre dans la jungle... peut-être...
-- Le Bushido
(Le Livre Des Samouraï)
There is no greater solitude than that of the samurai, unless it is that of the tiger in the jungle... perhaps...
Book of the Samurai
(likely Bushido - (1924 book), by Minoru Tanaka)
- .. which is the exact opposite of true. Samurai means "to serve", requiring another.. as in requiring non-solutide.
- 3:00 -- Saturday, April 4 6:00 P.M.
- 4:15 -- Well that's a shithole.
- 5:30 -- Well that's.. odd. I guess maybe that might have been a thing back there and then.
- 13:00 -- God this guy's stiff as fuck.
- 15:30 -- .. and nobody heard that? She was right outside too..
- 16:00 -- .. so I guess he didn't want to show his face, but he still stood out, making that rather difficult.
- 17:00 -- If he wanted to not have gun residue on his hands, then handling the gloves like that would have been a bad idea, as would putting them in his pocket. He took them off inside, leaving prints on handles and such anyway..
- 19:30 -- If that was his alibi, then wouldn't he want to be seen by that guy? Perhaps saying hello would make him more memorable.
- 21:30 -- I'm thinking back to 1967, and it's not German-occupied or anything.. is/was this paper-checking an actual thing? Wow.
- 23:30 -- If this was planned, why wouldn't he perhaps have a different coat and not have a hat at all?
- 26:30 -- Fiance != girlfriend.
- 38:15 -- Why wouldn't an alibi hold up, even against a witness?
- 38:30 -- Sunday, 5:45 A.M.
- 39:15 -- Why would Costello even be a suspect? Did they already have him flagged?
- 47:00 -- I assume he disarmed him.. it was hard to tell.
- Half-way.. and I'm not really into this.
- 48:45 -- Don't the police know where he lives?
- 49:30 -- That's a remarkably light wound.
- 51:30 -- DA = District attorney
- 52:00 -- Sunday, 10:00 P.M.
- 54:15 -- He got his keys out and locked up rather quickly..
- 56:00 -- What is he stupid, going there?
- 1:00:45 -- Why did he try out the larger box?
- 1:02:00 -- God this is a terrible movie. So slow and boring.
- 1:03:45 -- Magnetophon 300
- 1:07:00 -- .. or perhaps she hated the guy.
- 1:07:15 -- Monday, 7:00 A.M.
1:09:45 -- "You've got pluck." ? Pluck?
- 1:10:30 -- Is she supposed to know who "that pianist" is? She never met the woman, and even if she did she'd have to recognize her.
- 1:15:30 -- That box would definitely pick up all the rattling of it being discovered, held, and repositioned.
- 1:20:30 -- 50 men?! That's ridiculous!
- 1:20:30 -- Gallium arsenide
- 1:30:45 -- Why.. why are they tailing him again? This has been going on for so long that I don't know if they ever mentioned anything.
- 1:33:00 -- Do cars not have locks on their doors?
- 1:33:30 -- Wow, good thing he got it on the third key.
- 1:37:30 -- I'm imagining there's a lady's white glove boutique that he frequents.
- 1:38:15 -- Oh now I get it, this is actually a superhero movie and he has the superpower of teleporting guns from his pocket.
- 1:39:15 -- She was right there. She saw him leave his ticket.
- 1:40:15 -- Oh, she hired him.
1:43:15 -- Really? Oh fuck.
- Oh, they weren't just going to start playing again.. because that would have been awkward.