TODO - absorb old notes from here into the guide
A tactics game so good it's worth buying a PlayStation 2 for.
- Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
- Can't skip a tutorial once in it.
exit to menufeature isn't harsh enough about throwing away the current game. I've done it accidentally twice, thinking I could exit a map and go back to my castle.
- Cannot re-play a tutorial map's tutorial.
- Geo-tile colour changes take too long.
- The bonus guage takes too long to fill.
Can delete the original prinnies.
- Save files should have the date/time shown.
Definitely an interesting tactics game. Has a lot of building. Seems pretty overwhelming at first.
It takes a while to figure out the UI. There are extra steps to do some things, like move equipment around.
Certain specialists in weapons will give extra effects. For example, a hypnotizer will put people to sleep when you attack them with a weapon that has one in there. I'm not sure about the specifics though. A lot of things are hidden.
Apparently there's another rating of weapon skill - the "s" class. I think it's better than "a". Ninja gets this with unarmed. Neat.
I don't like the system of masters and pupils.. it's so odd.
- When learning skills from your pupil and intending to rebuild, don't rebuild until you have x% more with all of your skills, otherwise you'll have 0 ranks in the skill and can't use it.
- Ninjas are practically invulnerable. Their high speed makes everyone miss, and somehow when a fighter-type has more speed than a ninja-type the ninja is still missed all the time. Spells have a very hard time landing on a ninja, even your allied healing spells. Odd.
- Ihe player/enemy turn-switching is too damned slow.
- It would be nice if there were some kind of automated-play, so I can just let my guys loose to wreck havoc.
There are monster-characters which I can't afford at all. It's rather frustrating to see them all sitting there. =)
- 2017-01-19 - I have since learned that capturing them is the cheaper alternative.
- after doing a challenge and going up a rank, it kicks you out to the main menu. It's annoying because I often want to do multiple challenges in a row. But it's nice that it heals me. =)
I cannot start a new game and skip the bullshit intro nonsense!! This is so damned annoying!
- I decided to make a post-intro save, and a second post-tutorial save.
Tricks and tips ∞
- Make sure that all the characters you make are children of Laharl.
- Don't combine units in a weapon which has unallied specialists in it. Your allied specialists will be absorbed and will make the unallied ones stronger. =(
- Fight the assembly and toss good guys together. Then toss bad guys at it. Be careful and have a tough good guy to throw them into it.
- You can lead slow monsters back and forth in the assembly. Just have a ninja and a mage. The mage runs to the ninja and uses magic, and the ninja throws them left or right. The ninja can also move to escape a little. You can do this back and forth and a unit would run left and right, always keeping out of range. I nuked a level 250ish guy with a level 50ish mage doing this.
If you fight all guys in an item world level, and don't manage to kill the specialist but kill everyone else, you beat the level and get the specialist anyway.
old forum (archived) - It looks like nothing was captured.