Console text-based games.
- telnet-games exist.
NetHack and Angband were favourites of mine back in the day. Unfortunately Angband had a very serious flaw that I ran into, and gameplay became impossible at one point. I literally couldn't progress any further than I had! =(
- When I went back to check out an online version of Nethack, it just wan't the same. I didn't really tune in.
Text-input into games has been great fun, starting with Hero's Quest. Unfortunately it started and ended with that game, since future games in the franchise largely abandoned this as a primary way of interacting with the world. Quite unfortunate.
I never got into the very very oldschool text-only games. They just weren't any fun. No randomness.. well, no real gameplay.
I loved playing ncSnipes on the Novell network way back in the day. That was a blast.
- Text: Go over mudding -- links, reviews, blabla.. discuss Shadowwind, that light one.. (arg, forgot the name) -- and terms like Kevterm, JMC, Mudconnector Java, zMud...
review mudding and the concept of a randomized world.. the concept of unlimited areas based around my theory of areas sharing the same 'real life space' but using different virtual numbers.
To do - Check notes ∞
- Follow resources to get more links. See if some of these resources can be permanent references so I don't have to maintain big lists.
- Follow up with dead links, see if the project moved. If not found, check archive.org for reference at least.
- Test DOS-only items under DOSBox / DOSEMU / VMWare / etc / whatever.
Test Windows-only items under Wine / VMWare / etc / whatever.
- http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/08/12/15/1933218.shtml Slashdot thread: Great games to put on a free PC?
- http://www.reloaded.org/ Abandonia Reloaded
- www.mobygames.com Moby Games
- http://retrograde.trustno1.org/ Retrograde Station
- http://www.atariage.com/ AtariAge
- http://www.defunctgames.com/ Defunct Games
- http://www.arcade-museum.com/ The International Arcade Museum - Antique Coin-Operated Machines
- The Killer List of Videogame - the authoritative database on coin-operated video-games
- http://www.remakes.org/ Retro Remakes -- Remade games
- http://www.ggdb.com/ The Great Game Database -- Arcade games.
- http://www.emuunlim.com/doteaters/index.htm The Dot Eaters - Videogame History 101
- http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/more-lightweight-diversions/ more lightweight diversions - has some interesting references.
www.gog.com Good Old Gaming - has classic games for sale! DRM-Free!!
Links and Webrings ∞
To do after/later ∞
Begin with a quick review of each item.
Later, find proper resources (check with the oldschool databases) and, only if necessary, follow up with an in-depth review.
Contact the database guys and let them know my intentions. Ask for a link and some hype. Check their site for any reference stuff to use (classic/popular/high-rated freeware)
Linux Games ∞
As far as I'm aware, there are no actual classic games which were released on Linux.
Classic Linux Games - Text/Console ∞
- Nethack / Angband, and many many remakes/ports/hacks
telnet games are universal.. if I go there, then I should get into Telnet BBS' too.
Oldschool games ported to Linux ∞
- UFO: Enemy Unknown / UFO Defence (Amiga, Amiga CD32, DOS, PlayStation, Windows) > http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/ UFO2000 (only inspired by, not a clone)
Sopwith (DOS - CGA)
- http://sdl-sopwith.sourceforge.net/index.shtml SDL-sopwith
- The source was released as GPL.
Star Control II (DOS, 3DO)
- http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ The Ur-Quan Masters
The Legend of Zelda (Famicom Disk System, NES, GBA, Virtual Console)
- http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/ Zelda Classic
Doom (various platforms)
Quake (various platforms)
- Was ported unofficially and officially. TODO: Links.
- This would need to be specially compiled for Linux. Shouldn't be hard.
Ultima VII (DOS)
Death Track got a Windows remake, but I didn't find anything for Linux. =(
DOS Games ∞
- Armada 2525
- Doom - and MANY mods.
- Other Doom-like games were really good. Heretic, some star wars one, some game where you had two guns. Should I focus on pre-Quake?
- Hero's Quest
- Master of Magic
- Star Control 1
- Star Control 2
- Warlords 1
Note to self: I have a big list of fun and funny old games.