A ubiquitous shell. The default for almost all Linux distributions.
Random notes on this software.
On Windows, I use Git on Windows.
I would much rather use the same Zsh environment on Windows and Linux. Having to figure out portability is annoying.
Note that you will find a lot of example and working code on GitHub:
- 2016-03-28 - 4.2.53(2) on Slackware 14.1 i486
- 2016-03-26 - 4.3.11(1) on Lubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
- 2016-01-30 - 4.3.42(5) on Git on Windows 2.7.4 64-bit
2016-01-29 - 3.1.20(4)-release on Git on Windows Git-1.9.5-preview20141217
- (earlier than this)
- This was so damned old at the time that I had to jump through hoops to do scripting under this restriction.
2009-04-21 - 3.1.17 on (distribution not recorded)
- It's the standard, but I bloody well hate how it works. It's so clumsy and GNU.
Bash has come with every distribution I have ever used.
- 2017-02-07 - down, reportedly migrating to a new server
2017-11-05 - A random note from 2009-03-29 which I apparently can't reproduce on Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD
man 1 builtins