A free operating system which initially intrigued me because of it's fundamental philosophies of freedom. Free as in freedom (Libre) and free as in beer (Gratis).
|Distribution||Last tested||LiveUSB||Package Management||Rolling Release||systemd?||Ease|
|Slackware||2016-03-25 - 14.1||text installer||partial + third-party||security||No (1, 2, 3)||"other"|
|Lubuntu||2016-03-25 - 14.04.4 LTS||yes||yes||yes||yes||easy, light|
(I may get around to updating this table for other distributions, or expanding it.)
- 2016-03-20ish - I had been checking out a bunch of distributions before switching to Slackware 14.1
- 2016-03-26 - Using Lubuntu, last version was 14.04.4 LTS
- 2011-12-12 - I ran through a bunch of testing, but I think most things failed because the USB copies were all getting corrupted. USB is fucking unreliable.
- 2011-? - I had another testing nightmare afterwards.
- 2011-08-12 Linux testing nightmare
- 2010-11-10 Linux testing nightmare
- I used Unity Linux for a bit
- I used PCLinuxOS for some time
I started with Slackware
getting shit onto a usb stick ∞
isohybrid is a mandatory tool for those distributions which don't provide an ISO which can be directly burned to a USB stick.
\sudo \dd bs=4M if=filename.iso of=/dev/sdb
- http://liveusb.info/dotclear/ perhaps.. it's in .fre
- BackTrack Linux -- Penetration Testing
- Tails -- Tor-focused
Gangbang -- many window managers on a bootable iso
- This seemed cool when I checked it out probably in 2014-2015.
To check out ∞
- Note that several in /tag/linux-distributions should be tried again, especially since SystemRescueCD will fix a broken GRUB/LILO bootloader.
Rescatux / Super Grub2 Disk
Free GNU/Linux distributions ∞
I've seen nothing good.
[abandoned] dyne:bolic ∞
As of 2016-04-16 was last updated 2011-09-08.
Based on Ubuntu.
[dormant] Dragora ∞
As of 2016-04-16 was last updated 2012-04-24.
[dormant, Spanish] Utuo ∞
As of 2016-04-16 was last updated 2012-04-17.
Seems to have entirely Spanish documentation
[dormant] gNewSense ∞
As of 2016-04-16 was last updated 2014-02-09.
Based on Debian.
Based on [[Knoppix] (Debian)