A straightforward but powerful window manager.
Openbox has been my window manager of choice for years now. Over that time, I've amassed some significant knowledge which I'll try to maintain here.
- 2016-03-28 - 3.5.2, on Slackware 14.1
- 2016-03-26 - 3.5.2, on Lubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
- ~2009-04? - 3.5.0, on Lubuntu (version not recorded)
2016-03-28 - 3.5.2 ∞
Installed using slpkg - https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/desktop/openbox/
\slpkg -s sbo openbox
xwmconfig and set
xinitrc.openbox-session as the default window manager. Note that there is also an entry in
pkgtool > config.
Note that openbox could be re-compiled with
- While I've noted that, I may not pursue this for some time.
With two monitors, the alt-tab thing appears on only one monitor. I want it on both, or at least on my primary monitor and not the one I often have turned off.
- 3.4.9 -- Show the desktop pager popup on the primary monitor instead of on all monitors.
2016-03-26 - 3.5.2 ∞
(no notes were taken)
~2009-04? - 3.5.0 ∞
Default with Lubuntu. Working wonderfully.
~2009-04? - 18.104.22.168 ∞
I have a fair history with it and know it well enough. Without further testing and comparison, this would be my first choice.
For just a basic developer system, Openbox alone is just fine. Otherwise I would recommend at least LXPanel.