This is the state attained through fasting or with a zero or near-zero carbohydrate and sugar diet, particularly with a carnivore diet of fatty meat.
If you are on a ketogenic diet, Making your own Electolyte / Energy Drink may be important; I don't know.
- The Ketogenic Edge Cookbook: A Training Manual for Low-Carb, Ketogenic, and Paleo Cuisine - Primal Edge Health
Remember that a keto diet isn't about high protein, but a balance between protein, fats and oils! Too much protein is a bad thing!
- Pair high protein items with high fat. (I'm not sure why, this might be a food combination issue)
- TODO - more fully absorb this: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-foods
- MUST be prepared correctly!
Food notes ∞
Note that you can have too much protein on a ketogenic diet! Fats are important, and rounding things out with vegetables is important.
- olive oil (cold-pressed)
- Cocoa Butter
Nuts and Seeds
- Fattier nuts like macadamia/brazil nuts and almonds [ 1 ] In moderation; Legumes (peanuts), almonds, walnuts, and pine nuts are particularly high in omega 6 .
- Read labels!
The obvious meats are all good. Definitely aim for grass-fed / organic meats to avoid things like steroids, but also because those meats are much better for subtleties like omega fatty acids. People report that this expense is well worth it.
- Ground beef may have a selection with a ratio of fat, e.g. 85/15 or 80/20.
- Lamb is fatty
- Eggs (especially yolks)
- If you fry, you absolutely want to fry with these because they have a high smoke point. Other oils will smoke and oxidize at a lower temperature, greatly diminishing their value.
Prefer full-fat dairy items.
- Cheese [ 3 ] Harder cheeses typically have fewer carbs.
- Butter, especially ghee [ 4 ] ghee is a clarified butter that is especially good for cooking with because of its higher smoke point.
Mayonnaise [ 5 ] Authentic mayonnaise which has no sugar in it.
- And mayo alternatives that include dairy.
- Greek yogurt
- (A lot of people use this for their coffee. Use an alternative sweetener if you need, like Stevia)
Above-ground vegetables, leaning toward dark and leafy/green items.
- Tomato do have carbs, so be careful about overusing tomato-based sauces which claim to have no sugar or carbs.
- Avocado Oil
- With a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
- (Consider artificial flavoring)
Pure ceylon black tea
- Like Dilmah tea
Recipe notes ∞
|^ 1||In moderation; Legumes (peanuts), almonds, walnuts, and pine nuts are particularly high in omega 6|
|^ 2||Remember that bacon is often cured with sugar!|
|^ 3||Harder cheeses typically have fewer carbs.|
|^ 4||ghee is a clarified butter that is especially good for cooking with because of its higher smoke point.|
|^ 5||Authentic mayonnaise which has no sugar in it.|