The universe has it out for me.
- I have VirtualBox up and running just fine on my half-broken host.
- I wanted to install TinyME. But I deleted my ISO.
- For some reason, I wasn't able to boot up off of the CDROM.
- Then I tried to turn my burned CDROM back into an ISO, but graveman spat out an error. Fine fine, whatever. I'll download it.
- Next I learned that the ISOs were taken offline, so I can't download them.
- But I hunted around and found that Sourceforge still had an ISO.
- I booted into it, installed TinyME and everything was happy. I used the snapshot feature a few times.
- I did some extra steps and I wanted to revert to an earlier snapshot. I learned that I couldn't boot into an earlier snapshot and continue a new branch from there, I was forced to discard my current snapshot.
- Ok, I abandoned my work and started from an earlier position.
- But now VirtualBox's "install guest additions" feature does nothing when I select it.
- I tried unmounting, re-mounting other cdroms, restarting the machine, restarting VirtualBox, starting another machine that had the guest additions and it worked. Somehow this TinyME virtual machine couldn't do this anymore.
- Reverting to an even earlier state didn't help.
- I tried deleting the virtual machine, but couldn't! Somehow things were corrupted.
- I exited VirtualBox, manually deleted the files on the disk and restarted VirtualBox. It complained. I still had to dip into menus and delete bits and pieces of the virtual drive before it could be removed.
- I installed TinyME from scratch in a new virtual machine.
But now I can't update - https://www.ibiblio.org/ went down.
Does the universe work like this for anyone else?
I posted this blog, powered down the virtual machine .. and ibiblio c (and just now, another tab popped up an expiring wiki edit page, arg!) and ibiblio is back up again.