A procedurally generated survival game with shitty graphics, which became popular because it was first-to-market and took advantage of nostalgia.
Unfortunately, Minecraft was never completed and the author fucked off with the money to make another game. Even with extraordinary success, the author didn't make good on promises and the game was never finished.
I loved this game, and even bought it twice to support the developer, but because it was Java it would bring a computer to its knees. Being sold out to Microsoft (for their upcoming virtual reality stuff I'd bet) was bafflingly insulting.
I would try it again years later, and it hasn't had basic improvements.
- Minecraft's success
- https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki [ 1 ]
- There was a bug tracker, but it was, predictably, removed.
- Minecraft Blender rig.
- 2022-07-20 - Minecraft for Windows 1.19.10 on Windows 11
- 2022-07-01 - 1.19 on Windows 10
- 2021-09-10 - 1.17.1 on Windows 10
- 2016-05-01 - Windows 10 edition beta 0.14.2 on Windows 10
- (date not recorded) - 1.8 on Unity Linux (version not recorded)
- It might have been Linux (distribution not recorded) at some point.
2010-09-13 - (version not recorded) on Windows (version not recorded)
- 1 2022-07-20 - Minecraft for Windows 1.19.10
- 2 2021-09-10 - 1.17.1
- 3 2016-05-01 - Windows 10 edition beta 0.14.2
- 4 (date not recorded) - 1.8
- 5 2010-10-05 - (version not recorded)
- 6 2010-09-13 - (version not recorded)
- 7 Ubuntu supports Minecraft
- 8 Tips and tricks
- 9 Links
2022-07-20 - Minecraft for Windows 1.19.10 ∞
- It wasn't available with the normal launcher, I had to figure out how to get a new launcher. Then I had to figure out how to sign in multiple ways, and install some alternate launcher just for this version of it. It was annoying and a normal human probably couldn't figure it out.
- It spawned me out in the open and at night. What a nightmare.
- The mouse didn't work and I had to re-launch.
- When in full screen (
alt-tabwon't work. Pressing
Win-taband then selecting the game will exit a multiplayer game.
Cannot move items in the inventory using the number keys.
- They're assholes about adding an issue for it to be addressed https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCPE-74195
- The mouse and movement have drunken lag, even with all the settings dropped to minimum. Is this because I was testing with multiplayer?
- There are obnoxious animations for all kinds of things like pulling up the inventory.
- Trees slowly sink for some reason. While amusing, it's surprising and damages the player.
alt-tabicon for the launcher does not have a fancy icon, just a boring application icon.
When crafting, it shows strange categories and shows all possible craftable items. I only want what Java has: All possible things, optionally with only what I have available to make based on what's in my inventory.
Overall this fails really hard. It's annoying to play and the interface is inexcusably bad.
2021-09-10 - 1.17.1 ∞
I spent several days puttering about and manually doing stuff. A lot of things have changed, some for the better, but the core gameplay is still unchanged.
I like that there's a recipe book, but it's rudimentary; a disappointment.
But I ended up falling into lava just trying to move somewhere, and I drowned in it.. and didn't catch going into peaceful mode in time (if that would have worked) and lost too much stuff; fuck it.
The game is pretty simple and manual, and it has an overwhelming amount of bullshit stuffed into it that just makes it complicated for no reason, like fashion blocks and redstone, which get in the way of actual gameplay.
2016-05-01 - Windows 10 edition beta 0.14.2 ∞
- I have no clue what all the controller bindings are. Descriptions like "button 9" don't mean anything.
There is no way to customize the key bindings. Fucking fail fail fail.. this is entirely unplayable!
(date not recorded) - 1.8 ∞
Under Unity Linux (version not recorded), I had to:
\smart install xrandr
2010-10-05 - (version not recorded) ∞
I'm doing epic things in Minecraft. I built a classic Victorian hedge maze. It took a lot of work. I tried yesterday and failed and failed. This time I graphed it out on a proper squared-off image and was able to lay it out in blocks. Even that took me a while!
I have the layout for the movie The Shining's hedge maze. It doesn't look like much of a maze but it's bigger and may be a bit more interesting as a simple hangout.
update some years later: Other people have caught on to this, even creating 3d mazes. I maintain I created one of the first, and did it publicly enough to inspire.
2010-09-13 - (version not recorded) ∞
- 2010-10-02 -- Was granted moderator status on minecrafters.net servers. That didn't take long..
- 2010-10-01 -- Spent a lot of time fiddling around with multiplayer minecraft. Building some interesting stuff. I still don't feel very imaginative..
- 2010-09-17 -- I purchased Minecraft and have been playing it for a good while now, and doing little else. Even at Alpha it's very fun.
- 2010-09-16 -- Played more Minecraft.
2010-09-15 -- Played more Minecraft.
I woke up at 8am ready to rock, with my heart pounding. I immediately went to investigate something I had heard about last night. MineCraft. https://www.minecraft.net/en-us
But the free version doesn't work under Linux. I just get a grey screen after a short while.
I ended up buying Minecraft and having a blast with it. I stayed up until 5am playing it.
Ubuntu supports Minecraft ∞
https://ubuntu.com/desktop/features, on 2010-11-14:
Tips and tricks ∞
A beacon ∞
I'm very happy with the compass and having it makes my exploring a whole lot less stressful. I am also thinking about setting up a number of stratospheric lava towers to help me navigate at night as well. The idea is to build a basin out of cobblestone that is 3x3 wide inside and 5x5 overall, fill it with water, go to the edge of it, ride a gravel elevator up as high as it will go, place cobblestone blocks until you get to directly above center of the basin, destroy the blocks between you and the center so the central block floats, and pour a bucket of lava directly on top of it. After that, take the elevator down. In theory, you should have a four square wide, x shaped column of lava that empties into your water basin. I suspect this would be more visible than a torchlit lighthouse.
Anvils vanish ∞
Anvils randomly vanish, not just when in use but when opened.
Maybe it's a bug, or maybe the assholes just coded it that way without telling you. It's horrifyingly expensive and this is a disturbing thing to have happen.
If you have cheats enabled, make yourself another:
/give @s minecraft:anvil 1
Become invulnerable ∞
2022-02-10 - 1.18.1
/effect @p minecraft:resistance 1000000 4 true
This makes you immune to everything and lets you move (and see) through blocks.
Teleport between the Overworld, Nether and The End ∞
/execute in minecraft:the_nether run teleport ~ ~ ~
You might also want to first:
If you want to explore, make sure you have the game feature which creates new blocks (areas) when explored by spectators. It's on by default.
- was minecraftopia.com
- Attempts to keep tabs and reverse-engineer the software in order to support the interoperability and API stuff that Mojang had never developed, promised to develop, and then sold out to Microsoft in order to not develop.
- Minecraftopia - Minecraft How Tos and Crafting
- Automated Night Defence System
- Minecraft Trailer
- Soldier's Minecraft Experience
- kiershar has some videos
- Minecraft + Portal
- Minecraft: How to hide redstone circuits
- Slime Powered Minecarts!
- Minecraft : TNT Cannon (UNCUT)
- Minecraft 5x5 rail cart lift tower
- Minecraft 7x7 rail cart lift tower
- Minecraft Flight
- Safety Tips
- I Hate Slimes
- Minecraft : Sky monster-trap
- ZynuxIRDC has some videos
- Villager Breeding Logic
- Villager Breeding Station
- How to make a FULLY Automatic Wheat Farm - Works on XBOX
- How to build a sand factory producing more than 25 sand /sec in Minecraft 1.2.4 !
Computers built with Minecraft ∞
- 16-bit ALU in minecraft
- Minecraft logic - 4 bit, 4 bank asynchronous RAM array
- Minecraft Turbo Pulse Clock