TODO - add any notes and make a more complete review
A light and capable email client.
POP3, POP before SMTP, APOP, IMAP4rev1, IMAP over SSH, IMAP CAPABILITY, mh, SMTP, SMTP AUTH, NNTP, SSL/TLS, full OpenPGP support, external editors, filtering, muliple identities. Good multilanguage and character set support.
- Formerly Sylpheed-Claws.
- It was originally a fork to showcase bleeding-edge features in Sylpheed, but become stable and popular. It essentially replaces Sylpheed.
RSSyl is an RSS reader I used with Claws Mail.
- my script to generate empty emails
- 2010-01-30 -- None of them change the basic colours.. wtf.
- 2019-06-25 - 3.14.1 on Debian 9.9.0-i386-xfce-CD-1
- 2017-10-05 - 184.108.40.206 on Windows 10
2017-10-04 - 3.10.1 on Windows 10
- I had been using this for some time.
- 2016-03-28 - 3.13.1 on Slackware 14.1
- 2016-03-26 - 3.9.3 on Lubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
- (date not recorded) - 3.7.10 on a Unity Linux alpha (version not recorded)
- 2010-10-04 - 3.7.6 on (distribution not recorded)
- 2010-01-13 - 3.7.2 on Unity Linux 64bit-beta2, updated 2010-01-05
- 2010-01-05 - 3.7.4 on Unity Linux 64bit-beta1, updated 2010-01-05
- 2010-01-01 - 3.7.3 on Unity Linux 64bit-beta1, updated 2009-12-28
- 2009-07-19 - 3.7.2 on Unity Linux 0.99 alpha 1, updated 2009-07-19
- 2009-07-18 - 3.7.2 on Slackware 12.2
- 2009-05-11 - 3.7.0 on PCLinuxOS 2007, updated 2009-04
- I've also used Google's GMail, both with its web-interface and downloading mail using Claws Mail.
I used to use Sylpheed.
- 1 Important plugins
- 2 2019-06-25 - 3.14.1
- 3 2016-03-28 - 3.13.1
- 4 2016-03-26 - 3.9.3
- 5 (date not recorded) - 3.7.10
- 6 2010-10-04 - 3.7.6
- 7 2010-01-13 - 3.7.2
- 8 2010-01-05 - 3.7.4
- 9 2010-01-01 - 3.7.3
- 10 2009-07-19 - 3.7.2
- 11 2009-07-18 - 3.7.2
- 12 2009-05-11 - 3.7.0
- 13 Alternatives
Important plugins ∞
2019-06-25 - 3.14.1 ∞
delete and move to the next message ∞
delete moves the cursor to the bottom of the list.
To instead move to the next message, edit
~/.claws-mail/clawsrc and set
2016-03-28 - 3.13.1 ∞
(I originally did just claws-mail, but ended up redoing things)
Claws Mails' fancy plugin ∞
To get the fancy plugin, I had to get its dependency
\slpkg -s sbo webkitgtk
Installing: webkitgtk 2.4.9 i486 SBo Installing for dependencies: orc-0.4.23 0.4.23 i486 SBo gstreamer1-1.4.5 1.4.5 i486 SBo gst1-plugins-base 1.4.5 i486 SBo libwebp 0.4.3 i486 SBo
I already had orc and gstreamer from somewhere else.
Claws Mail ∞
\slpkg -s sbo claws-mail
2016-03-26 - 3.9.3 ∞
I used Lubuntu's repository to install Claws Mail.
All plugins used were labelled as version 3.9.3-1ubuntu1
(date not recorded) - 3.7.10 ∞
A recent update with Unity Linux alpha fucked everything up again, and claws mail crashes when I try to select a message.
\su smart install \ libglib2.0-devel \ libgtk+2.0-devel \wget sourceforge.net/projects/sylpheed-claws/files/Claws%20Mail/3.7.10/claws-mail-3.7.10.tar.bz2/download \wget sourceforge.net/projects/sylpheed-claws/files/Claws%20Mail/3.7.10/claws-mail-3.7.10.tar.bz2.md5/download \md5sum -c claws-mail-3.7.10.tar.bz2.md5 \tar -xvvjf claws-mail-3.7.10.tar.bz2 \cd claws-mail-3.7.10 ./configure \ --disable-spamassassin-plugin \ --disable-bogofilter-plugin \ --disable-libetpan \ --enable-openssl \make
2010-10-04 - 3.7.6 ∞
Folders and messages went missing.
After a lot of searching, I had to right-click on the top-level "Mailbox (MH)" folder and "Rebuild folder tree".
2010-01-13 - 3.7.2 ∞
Worked just fine. I didn't attempt to install plugins.
./configure --disable-spamassassin-plugin --disable-bogofilter-plugin --disable-dillo-viewer-plugin --disable-trayicon-plugin
2010-01-05 - 3.7.4 ∞
It's now in the repo!
smart install \ claws-mail \ claws-mail-att_remover-plugin \ claws-mail-cachesaver-plugin \ claws-mail-fetchinfo-plugin \ claws-mail-geolocation-plugin \ claws-mail-gtkhtml2_viewer-plugin \ claws-mail-rssyl-plugin \ claws-mail-spam_report-plugin \ claws-mail-spamassassin-plugin \ claws-mail-tnef_parse-plugin \ claws-mail-trayicon-plugin \ claws-mail-vcalendar-plugin \
claws-mail-gtkhtml2_viewer-pluginis better than Dillo because it has anti-aliased fonts.
- I don't know how it compares to fancy (
- I don't know how it compares to fancy (
claws-mail-spamassassin-pluginis better than bogofilter because it is more complete (but slower!).
- I don't know how it compares to bsfilter (
- I don't know how it compares to bsfilter (
2010-01-01 - 3.7.3 ∞
This was trivial to compile from source, and I already posted an entry on that (Compiling Claws Mail 3.7.3 on Unity Linux 64bit beta1). I haven't explored plugins, like the barely-adequate RSSyl plugin which I do need to get going or I'll switch to some other client like Canto or maybe even or sup if it wasn't so obnoxiously complicated and hacker-centric.
I didn't like its RSS plugin.
TODO: Compile more features in: https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Installation_and_Configuration#What_do_I_need_to_compile_Claws_Mail.3F
smart install lib64glib2.0-devel lib64gtk+2.0_0-devel lib64etpan-devel lib64gnutls-devel
- Both spamassassin and bogofilter wouldn't pass through
make, which is an old issue, so I've disabled them.
- My system half locked up during
make, so I'm nice'ing it. It then only hung a short while on one part.
- I initially thought that I could get SSL support with lib64openssl0.9.8-devel, but it would not install.. "no package provides.." I had to install lib64openssl0.9.8-static-devel. But I learned that I needed to install lib64gnutls-devel.
I didn't see ssl being shown in the list of configured options, so I'm trying --enable-openssl.
su ./configure --disable-spamassassin-plugin --disable-bogofilter-plugin --enable-openssl nice -n 19 make make install
make gave an errror:
make install would then give this error:
Then libetpan (IMAP4/NNTP) gave me some issues. Since I don't need it, I'll disable it:
./configure --disable-spamassassin-plugin --disable-bogofilter-plugin --enable-openssl --disable-libetpan
Oh wait, somehow
libetpan got uninstalled..
./configure --disable-spamassassin-plugin --disable-bogofilter-plugin --enable-openssl
make install gives:
... but it seems to work.
2009-07-19 - 3.7.2 ∞
I didn't bother with
libetpan this time.
./configure --disable-libetpan && make && make install
2009-07-18 - 3.7.2 ∞
I got packages from repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.2/network/claws-mail/3.7.2/
claws-mail: error while loading shared libraries: libetpan.so.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I needed to get
libetpan. I got it from the same reference: repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.2/libraries/libetpan/0.57/
2009-05-11 - 3.7.0 ∞
apt-get install claws-mail \ claws-mail-archive-plugin \ claws-mail-att_remover-plugin \ claws-mail-bogofilter-plugin \ claws-mail-cachesaver-plugin \ claws-mail-gtkhtml2_viewer-plugin \ claws-mail-notification-plugin \ claws-mail-rssyl-plugin \ claws-mail-smime \ claws-mail-trayicon-plugin \ claws-mail-vaclendar-plugin
note to self: There are some PGP[doesn't exist] plugins which I might want to use ..
Importing from Thunderbird - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail
The summary: Thunderbird already stores its files as mbox.
So surf to wherever Thunderbird keeps its mail. Find a file like "Inbox" (not "Inbox.msf"). That's the file you want to target for claws to do its mbox import. It works just fine. Repeat for each item you want to import.
In the top menu: Configuration > Preferences
- In the left side: Other > Miscellaneous
- In the middle area there is "Keyboard shortcuts". Enable customisable [sic] keyboard shortcuts: true - then click "Choose preset keyboard shortcuts..."
- Now you can use any menu entry and while your mouse is hovering over an item you can click the new shortcut.
Plugin configuration is found in the main configuration screen, and not in the "plugins" listing where you'd expect.
Forced to go through its setup before it lets you begin. You can't cancel it and continue.
- I just wanted to set up a local mailbox.
- Shitty defaults - who thought of
control-mfor composing a new message.
When composing a new message
- I cannot type a "To" address and then just press enter to get to the subject. I have to tab five times. Grr.
- When typing in the body, I cannot get back to the subject with a hotkey?
- Holy crap, it has a global duplicate message deleter. Boy did that come in handy!
- Very VERY fast.
- Doesn't have a "find" which will bring up a new list of those results. I need that for all kinds of reasons.
- The filtering features are annoying - requiring way too many clicks to add a new item.
- It doesn't properly sort by size.
- I wish it had better hotkeys, like Nostalgy for Thunderbird.
With long and complex threads, I can't tell where the start of the subject column is. It's very confusing. There is no line to separate the attachment column from the subject column, so I don't know what is leftmost.
- Change this in Preferences > Display > Summaries: Displayed Columns (Edit). Mine are: Subject, From, Date, Mark
- I cannot click and drag a whole thread easily. I collapse the thread, and if I move it I only get the first item.
- I want to be able to press left to collapse a thread, and right to expand it.
- There is no undo on moving items between folders.
- There is no undo on any dialogue.
- It would be nice if replying to mailing list mails updated the subject to remove [mailinglist] so I don't get "Re: [mailinglist] Re: subject"
- It doesn't automatically remember addresses from people you've received mail from or have sent mail to.
- Highlight some text, and reply - and it quotes the highlighted text. Sweet.
It can do quote-collapsing when viewing a message - but I wish that I could make quote-collapsing the default.
- Update: Somehow it became the default on its own. Uh, ok.
- Update 2:
View > Quote > Fold All
Is there a way for me to correct the date format being used in the list view?
Preferences > Display > Summaries: Date format: %Y-%m-%d (%a) %H:%M%p
-- See also strftime.
It differently colours the tray icon when there's a new reply to a thread I've participated in - or at least a reply to my message in a thread, I'm not sure which. It also puts a (
!) next to the folder.
- Is there a hotkey to immediately go to that thread/message?
For some odd reason, after much experimentation with importing OPML files and hacking the way RSSyl works, I redo it all once from scratch and it works. But I restart Claws Mail a second time and suddenly
- I have to re-create my default blank account (the others were there).
- The RSSyl feeds I added all vanished
- All of my fucking processing rules have vanished! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!
- ... good thing I have backups. Even the automated Claws Mail backups were obliterated. Sigh.
Wow, it remembers previously-open windows the next time I start it up. Neat.