I think that if and when I go through another round of distribution, this ought to be high on my todo list.
2015-05-07 - Bootloader installation wasn't automagical.
2015-05-07 - 4.0.1_1 x86_64 ∞
ddworks as expected:
\sudo \ \dd \ if=filename.iso \ of=/dev/sdx \ bs=4M
- Booting up gave the proper textmode size and font.
It doesn't boot into a GUI.
- I guess I needed one of their flavours.
- Before logging in, there are instructions which include things like the usernames and passwords to use to log in and test/install.
- There's a pseudo-tree collecting partitions.
- it has colour
- The default shell isn't bash.
bash isn't nice -- colour, nicer prompt, etc
- I guess this is an upstream problem, and the void crew doesn't care to provide a nicer liveUSB because of the difficulty of maintaining it.
- Slackware-esque text installer.
- I had to
sudo void-installerto actually get an install to work. I don't think the initial pre-login instructions included that.
Only needed to do a few steps
- Partitioning -- Minimum 600MB root.
- Mount points
- I could not get networking set up. I've no clue why and didn't bother to investigate. If that shit isn't automagical then it's a serious penalty in my review.
- Btrfs is available on the liveusb. Yay!
eCryptfs is not available on the liveusb. Boo.
- I don't know if it would be installable in some easy way, but since I could not get networking going I didn't investigate.
Of course I had nonsensical issues..
Failed to install GRUB to /dev/sdc Check /dev/tty8 for errors
(/dev/tty8 is alt-f8)
The root cannot be btrfs? I tried ext4.
- This is unsurprising. I don't think grub can handle btrfs yet.
grub-multiple partition labels - not supported
error: filesystem 'btrfs' doesn't support blocklists.
I'm supposed to know what a blocklist is?
I tried with everything as ext4 and it still didn't work:
/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
I suppose I needed to follow these instructions:
Second try ∞
- I did a regular boot, not from RAM
- This time, networking worked!
- There's no textmode browser?
- This time, selecting partitioning from the installer gave me cfdisk.
partedon the iso. So isn't the documentation wrong? If the partitioning thingy give me cfdisk, shouldn't that work?
What are "multiple partition tables" ? Gods, GRUB blows. Fuck this distribution if it can't work out of the box..