- Search engine optimization
- Places for map engines.
Security and trust ∞
Using alternate and meta search engines is one way to be one step away from untrusted search engines.
However, it still comes down to trusting that search engine. Disabling referrers, or having a toggle for that feature, helps not leak information to the destination site, but everything is still tracked at the governmental [ 1 ] especially the USA , ISP and search engine level. Keep in mind your browser may keep history, so a compromised computer can fetch that data too.
Search engines ∞
- Google: https://www.google.com/
- Microsoft: https://www.bing.com/
- https://www.startpage.com/ [ 2 ] ixquick.com redirects here. ixquick is entireweb.com
- https://www.yippy.com/ [ 3 ] clusty.com redirects here.
- Acquired the legendary "Ask Jeeves".
- No SSL:
- A decentralized search engine.
- A list of more engines.
Meta search engines ∞
These are search engines which themselves fetch data from other "primary source" search engines, creating a mix of results.
See also list of meta search engines
Specialized search engines ∞
Reverse image search engines ∞
Provide an image, and these search engines will bring up locations where that image, or similar images, are hosted.