TODO (try harder) - I need to create screenshots and clarify some steps. I feel that some instructions are too vague and may be slightly wrong.
I used to play Borderlands 2 on the Xbox 360. I wanted to switch to playing on my desktop computer. I bought an Xbox One wired controller so everything should be the same. I achieved complete success.
Read this entire page before beginning.
This was tested on Windows 8.1 in mid 2015.
You have ∞
- PS3 is reported to work.
A USB stick with your save data on it.
- You may need to migrate your profile and Borderlands 2 content to a USB stick.
- 8.1 was tested.
- Other versions are reported to work.
Borderlands 2 for Windows
- A Steam install was tested.
- Special thanks to youtube - Borderlands 2 How To Move Game Saves Between Xbox 360, PC Steam & PS3 With Gibbed Save Editor!. It got me on the right track.
- Steam is not required. This is untested.
- I have not tested on other versions of Windows.
- I am told this will also work to migrate characters between any of PS3, Xbox 360 and Windows, but these are untested.
This will also work to edit your game data.
- Editing game data and then writing back to your USB stick for use on the Xbox 360 or PS3 may get you banned, though I don't know how banning works.
- I don't think Steam gives a fuck if you edit your game data.
An Xbox One wired controller made for use on Windows will work "out of the box".
- It requires no special drivers or software, and configuration
- Borderlands 2 sees and uses it automatically with no configuration. It automatically changes all of its control text from Windows keys (e.g. press "e" to interact) to the same buttons as on the Xbox 360.
Download and install Horizon
- WARNING - If you do end up using the current Horizon installer, be fucking well sure you don't install any of the optional malware. DO NOT AGREE TO THE MALWARE TERMS.
- Their default installer claims to have Windows 8.1 support, but as of 2015-04-25 (version 184.108.40.206?) it was broken for me. I used v220.127.116.11 from a user-provided link. I scanned it, installed it and have been using it, but you must use this at your own risk.
Download Gibbed Borderlands2 SaveEdit
- (This requires no installation.)
- I used revision-248, updated 2015-02-16.
Your Xbox profile on a USB drive (e.g. a USB stick / thumb drive).
- I believe you can choose to move just your Borderlands 2 data and not your whole profile, but this is untested.
Note that you don't have to quit Borderlands 2.
Using Horizon ∞
Horizon's job is to move the Xbox 360 data from your USB drive to Windows.
- Insert your USB key.
- It takes forever to start, just wait.
- It will fail to connect to their servers. That's ok, it will work offline.
- It will automatically detect your USB key and its profile data.
- On the right-hand side, find your Borderlands 2 character entries.
- Extract a save.
- Run Windows explorer, and find that save file you just extracted.
- Drag and drop that save file back into horizon. A new window will appear in Horizon.
- In that new window, select Contents > Extract all and place those files somewhere you can find them again.
Using Gibbed ∞
Gibbed's job is to edit Borderlands 2 save data. You will be editing your characters to change them from Xbox 360 characters to PC characters.
- Start Gibbed. For each file you extracted:
Open the extracted file.
- Make sure to open files as Xbox 360 files. There's an option at the lower-right of the "open" dialog.
- Change the platform to PC.
- Save the file.
Additional steps ∞
With your edited files, you must now move these character files so that Borderlands 2 will use them.
- Start Borderlands 2.
- Enter the character select screen.
- Confirm you can open a character.
Repeat for each character.
- You can uninstall Horizon after completing its character importing.
- If you installed the official current Horizon installer, I highly recommend you do a complete malware and virus scan of your computer after installing, using, and uninstalling it.
- You can "uninstall" (delete) Gibbed after completing the character editing.
You can keep Gibbed if you want to do future character editing. More on that in xxxxx TODO