The king of video players.
On Windows, this is especially-king because the user doesn't have to figure out and download various shady codecs.
- Properly titled VLC media player.
- Alternative, on Windows 10, for audio: Audacious
- VLC alternate audio track from a separate file
Can play various Oldschool music formats.
- 2019-06-17 - 3.0.7 on Debian 9.9.0-i386-xfce-CD-1 within VirtualBox on Windows 10.
- 2018-07-11 - 3.0.3 on Windows 10 on Chocolatey
- 2017-10-05 - 2.2.6 on Windows 10 on Chocolatey
- 2016-10-17 - 2.2.4 32bit on Windows 10
- 2016-06-01 - (untested) on Slackware 14.1
- 2016-04-15 - 2.2.1 64bit on Windows 10
- 2016-03-26 - 2.1.6 on Lubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
I had been using vlc for years and years.
2019-06-17 - 3.0.7 ∞
VLC media player 3.0.7 Vetinari (revision 3.0.7-0-g86cee31099)
VLC version 3.0.7 Vetinari (3.0.7-0-g86cee31099)
Compiled by buildd on x86-csail-01.debian.org (Jun 9 2019 20:00:27)
Compiler: gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1)
VLC audio stuttering under VirtualBox ∞
I had audio stuttering problems within VirtualBox, but only with certain audio formats! The solution:
Preferences > Audio
- Output module: [ALSA audio output]
Device: [HDA Intel, STACC9221 A1 Analog Default Audio Device]
2016-10-17 - 2.2.4 32bit ∞
I see no way to download a 64bit program.
2016-06-01 - (untested) ∞
\slpkg -s sbo vlc
.. it's list of dependencies is horrific. I'll try to make due without.
I tried installing this anyway, and it took more than 1 GB of space before bringing my computer down.
2016-04-15 - 2.2.1 64bit ∞
Installed from their official installer.
Works just fine.
Their online documentation was removed. They won't even keep their old stuff online.
A/B repeat ∞
Yes, I had to fucking search for this.
View > Advanced Controls
A/B export ∞
Fucked if I know how. Is it even possible? I don't want to use a video editor.
- exporting frames, i.e. a series of images
2016-03-26 - 2.1.6 ∞
VLC media player 2.1.6 Rincewind (revision 2.1.6-0-gea01d28) VLC version 2.1.6 Rincewind (2.1.6-0-gea01d28) Compiled by buildd on brownie.buildd (Mar 26 2015 02:41:27) Compiler: gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
I installed using Lubuntu's repository.
Ancient notes ∞
- Unfortunately, it will not play all videos. I haven't confirmed why, but I've noticed that some broken videos play much better with MPlayer.
It's advanced settings are horrifyingly advanced.