FIXME - link an archive: borderlandsthegame.com/game/borderlands-the-presequel
If you have Borderlands 2, stick with it until you've played through it, through its true vault hunter mode and through every. single. DLC. There are a lot.
Then buy this, but only if you're a serious fan of Borderlands 2.
If you are new to the series and new to Borderlands 2, go buy and play Borderlands 2! It's great. This is just more of that, but with added obnoxiousness.
Properly titled Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
During the starting stuff, there are enemies with fire weapons. Bloody fire weapons. These kill easily and it was annoying to deal with them. A bad introduction to the game.
The low-gravity is annoying as hell.
- It seemed like a good idea, but it turns out to be annoying as all hell. Instead of being something optional and fun for the player to add to their ability kit, it turns the game into a platform puzzle game. For shame!
The O2 mechanic is obnoxious
- .. essentially giving the player a secondary health bar but which depletes on its own. O2 puts the game on rails, making it a run from one patch of air to another. O2 canisters look like blue items. O2 canisters get swept up in bulk, wasting them. They should only be picked up if the player is, say, < 90% O2.
Marking items as trash was removed!
- This makes the already-difficult inventory management even harder. New items are not labelled as such, so every time something possibly-interesting drops, the player has to look at every single item.
Several quality of life improvements were not done.
- I expected this "new game" to work somewhat like a new version, with improvements. Without them, characters aside, this is just a very expensive DLC.
- Unless the inventory is interacted with in a particular way, the player model is still in front of half of the inventory.
- Unable to drop weapons during comparison.
- There are still various circumstances where speech is cut off, which is annoying for the first time playing the game for those of us who want to hear everything.
- There is a distance where, before switching to echo, the speech of an npc is too quiet,
- Unable to tell which items are newly-looted.
- Cannot view some stuff while in a vehicle, like the inventory.
- Cannot be falling and pause / use the menu.