A file describing convention first introduced by JP Software's 4DOS.
- A platform-independent method of storing additional information.
A great aid for when file names are limited; character restriction, length restriction.
QuickView -- To my knowledge this is the only application which used descript.ion files for true metadata; image preview caching. It was a really slick thing to do too.
TODO - there are a lot of other notes in deep archives
- The official DOS version is abandoned.
- An an open source version was released for FreeDOS, but it appears to be abandoned.
The Windows version was called 4NT, but later renamed to TCC/LE
- Scripts can be found under https://github.com/spiralofhope/shell-random/tree/master/dead/4DOS
- Uses descript.ion for extended file information.
See also Batch file programming