See also Oldschool games
TODO - these should just be tagged /tag/commandline-software
See also Oldschool music
This is a category of music both covering "obsolete" formats and styles demanded by technological limitations and the more recent hipster minimalist music.
See also Oldschool music players
Oldschool Linux was to have been usable as a general-purpose light Linux distribution, with a focus on oldschool platform and operating system emulation/virtualization, demos, games, art and music.
Its target era was to be pre-Windows: DOS, c64, Amiga, Atari, etc. Software will be Linux-native where possible, but two-stage software will be examined .. such as emulating DOS to run a DOS program.
- Platform Emulation (DOS: DOSBox and DOSEMU, other platforms like c64, Amiga, Atari)
- Console Platform Emulation (NES, Sega Genesis, Arcade, etc)
- Demos (intros, demos, megademos, democomp-related stuff)
- Art (ASCII, ANSI, pixel, etc)
- Music (MODs etc, c64 SID, and more)
Games (Free, not abandonware - either platform-specific, console or arcade games)
- This is a secondary interest.
It was to be a consumer distribution, and not a producer distribution. To be distributed with media viewers/players as well as actual content. It was to be a branch off of the Unity Linux base. It never made it past the planning stages.
Oldschool-Windows and producer editions were far-future ideas.