TODO - these should just be tagged /tag/commandline-software
See also Oldschool music
TODO - something to play from CGSC: .mus, .str, .wds
This is a category of music both covering "obsolete" formats and styles demanded by technological limitations and the more recent hipster minimalist music.
Oldschool Linux was to have been usable as a general-purpose light Linux distribution, with a focus on oldschool platform and operating system emulation/virtualization, demos, games, art and music.
Its target era was to be pre-Windows: DOS, Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari, etc. Software will be Linux-native where possible, but two-stage software will be examined .. such as emulating DOS to run a DOS program.
- Platform Emulation (DOS: DOSBox and DOSEMU, other platforms like Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari)
- Console Platform Emulation (Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, Arcade, etc)
- Oldschool demos (intros, demos, megademos, democomp-related stuff)
- Art (ASCII, ANSI, pixel, etc)
- Oldschool music (MODs etc, Commodore SIDs, and more)
Games (Free, not abandonware - either platform-specific, console or arcade games)
- This is a secondary interest.
It was to be a consumer distribution, and not a producer distribution. To be distributed with media viewers/players as well as actual content. It was to be a branch off of the Unity Linux base. It never made it past the planning stages.
Oldschool-Windows and producer editions were far-future ideas.
Often called "abandonware".
there's still a lot to be ported
Oldschool Linux has bunches of notes.
Things that are no longer at the fore-front of public consciousness.
The hardware has been given away.