You can use Curry Powder but this is only a combination of the common spices
- coriander -- Make sure that the coriander content is not too large - less then 30%.
- black pepper
- white pepper
- chillies -- Red curry uses red chillis and green curry uses green chillis.
cumin, turmeric -- Yellow curry
Also some curry powders use funny ingredients (aniseed), so you will have to try a little first.
- the best curry I've had so far:
Thai Yellow Curry Chicken ∞
In a large saucepan
- simmer one 400 mL can Thai Kitchen Premium Coconut Milk with
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15-30 mL) Thai Kitchen Yellow Curry Paste* over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut in bite-sized chunks,
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15-30 mL) Thai Kitchen Fish Sauce*,
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar,
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) bamboo shoots,
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas and
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chicken stock
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally,
- garnish with fresh basil and serve hot.
- Serves 2 with Thai Kitchen Select Harvest Jasmine Rice.
(*) Start with half the amount of curry paste and fish sauce and vary amount according to personal taste.
Making curry ∞
Middle eastern potpourri ∞
- 1/2 lb(227 grams) coriander seed
- 2 oz.(57 grams) small cumin seed
- 2 tbsp(30ml) chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 tbsp((7.5ml) sweet cumin seed
- 1/2 tbsp(7.5ml) black mustard seeds
- An inch(about 3cm) piece of cinnamon
- 1 cardamon seed
1/4 tsp(1.2ml) freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.(121C).
- Put all ingredients in a shallow baking pan and bake 15 minutes.
- Using a mortar with pestle, grind spices while hot; or place in an electric blender and grind.
Place curry powder in an air-tight jar and it will keep about 6 months.