What it will be ∞
- A distribution focused on oldschool platform emulation, demos, games, art and music.
A slim distribution. The lightest possible tools will be used for every job, without sacrificing features or usability.
- Textmode tools and hotkeys will be preferred.
Thorough. I'll be packing in as much as possible, even if this means there is some duplication.
- I will still attempt to pick a best of breed for each application.
- A minimal windowing environment. Probably Openbox, possibly something else if it proves lighter.
- A general-purpose desktop distribution. While optimized for its oldschool tasks, it will have all the tools for everyday computer use. I intend to replace my existing installation with this one and use it full-time.
- A collection of the classics. Demos and music, and where possible: games and applications.
Extraordinarily well-documented. Have you seen how much I write?
What it won't be ∞
- It won't be magical. I'll be beginning with applications and configuration. Any really hard stuff won't get done until I learn the skills or get help. That might be never.
- It won't be an introduction to all things oldschool. Someone else can herd the noobs, I'm just putting all the tools in one place.
- It won't be a small download. I'm packing as much into a CD-ROM as I possibly can.
It won't be a way to get illegal game or operating system ROMs.
- Depending on the terms of my hosting, I may or may not be linking to resources.
- Alternative options are welcome. Does anyone have a Swedish host? =)
It won't be a news portal or an up-to-date resource on everything oldschool.
- Links will be maintained to the various other sites which are good for that stuff.
It won't be something that will run on old computers.
- In fact, most emulation-related stuff requires a disgustingly capable computer. They say that an emulator needs 10x the processing power than the original. That's not true, it needs way more.
- If Unity Linux creates a base targeting older computers, then I will examine the possibility of creating a sibling distribution which targets older computers.
Not decided ∞
- A logo or visual style.
Hosting. I doubt I will ever purchase a domain name for this project. I'll just use a subdomain at x.spiralofhope.com
For more info, see Oldschool Linux.