Important for the Leotheras the Blind fight.
This is a set of notes I made while researching fire resistance gear for my Warlock for the Leotheras the Blind fight.
Props to gamerswithjobs.com for all of the pre-BC notes. Some of it will come in handy.
In player-versus-enemy (PVE) there is a "cap" of 75% fire resistance. This can be met with a total of +365 to fire resist vs bosses (level 73), or 350 vs most trash (level 70). This guide will focus on the 365 cap for boss fights.
Bolded items do not stack, so just take your favourite one.
Talents and Spells ∞
[Warlock/self] Master Demonologist maxed, with a Felhunter out = 70 resist.
- It is for this reason that Warlocks are preferred as fire resistance tanks.
- [Warlock/self] Soul Link with a pet out will redirect 20% of the damage taken to the pet. It's a bit of a two-edge sword since the pet becomes vulnerable. If it's a felhunter then that means it could be killed if it isn't healed, taking its 70 fire resist with it.
- NOTE: The Warlock "Nether Protection" will NOT work against Leo's semi-AoE attack. It's only for direct-fire attacks, and only for the attack _after_ the one that procs. Also note that the mob won't stand there and keep shooting you, it'll run up and pwn you instead. So this is a horrific talent to have on some fights. Avoid!
- Mage's have their fire shield thing which might help..
- Mage's have spellsteal which is important on some fights..
... more notes to be added in time..
Party Members ∞
- [Paladin/party] Fire Resistance Aura - +70 Fire Resist to party members 30/40 yards from the Paladin.
[Shaman/party] Fire Resistance Totem - +70 Fire Resist to party members 20/30 yards from the totem. Must be recast every 2 minutes.
- Not recommended since it's a water totem and would replace either a mana or a healing totem.
[Druid/anyone] Mark of the Wild - +25 to all resists (at level 70)
Gear and Enchants ∞
Gear and enchants will make up the bulk of your fire resistance. You can also lean heavily on gear to remove the need for an elixir or other buff. This makes you safer in case one of those things is lost, like when your paladin dies and takes their +70 fire resistance aura with them. However, you are sacrificing normal gear for the resistance gear. This reduces your dps and threat generation, not to mention possibly sacrificing other effects your regular gear might give.
Fire Resistance for Clothies (BC) -- This gear isn't necessarily readily-available but it's very likely to be available for new players who began after the Burning Crusade.
- This also contains all of my references to decent enchants, so if you happen to have pre-BC gear, check out the BC enchants to help boost that gear.
Fire Resistance for Clothies (pre-BC) -- This gear may or may not be available because attainment may require heavy involvement in pre-BC end-game content. Some of this might be craftable by people who did participate in pre-BC end-game content, so ask around before you ignore this list!
[self] Magic Resistance Potion (cost?)
- +50 to all resists for 3 min.
- (Will this take the cooldown of regular potions?)
- Alchemist: https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Recipe:_Magic_Resistance_Potion [ 2 ] was https://wow.gamepedia.com/Recipe:_Magic_Resistance_Potion
- mats (common): 1 Khadgar's Whisker, 1 Purple Lotus, 1 Crystal Vial
- Guardian+Battle Elixir: +35 to all resists, +18 to all stats, lasts for 2 hours and through death.
- Alchemist: Dreaming Glory (7), Netherbloom (3), Fel Lotus (1), Imbued Vial (1)
-- Fel Lotus is rare/expensive, the rest are pretty common. Prices vary widely, so contact an herbalist guildie for a better rate on these. It's a very expensive potion to buy pre-made on the AH, so get an Alchemist guildie to make it!
Other ideas ∞
- Nightmare Seeds -- Herbalist: Nightmare Vines from Shadowmoon Valley. Gives temporary health.
- The Warrior "Commanding Shout" temporarily gives health
Spellstones of various levels to help purge the dots?
- Might have a 3 minute cooldown. The tooltip doesn't say anymore.
- Might be reusable, nobody seems to know.
Encounter notes ∞
Stuff to read ∞
- https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Resistance_equipment [ 3 ] was https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Resistance_equipment