ancient outdated notes
I've gone through a lot of addons. I maintain this list in case one of my current addons breaks. In that case I can reach back into the list of alternates which I may or may not have tried to at least get partial functionality back.
This list is especially important if any of my active addons is abandoned, which is bound to happen.
Yes, this is a horrible mess. But it doesn't matter. I'd just search for the addon I want to replace and look at the list of alternates underneath. Simple.
The addons ∞
Essential: Used frequently and fundamental to gameplay ∞
Significant functionality improvements, Knowledgebase, Automation, etc.
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/8454/ Tattle] /tattle -- Rats out people that break crowd control. -- /tattle [
- /tattle self
Not working for 2.4 because of combat log changes. Parserlib has to be updated.
Quest Helper, LightHeaded:
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/11233/ Carbonite Quest]
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/9651/ CCFocus] /ccf options -- For crowd-controlling.
replaced by simple macros..
(Ace) [http://www.wowace.com/wiki/BigBrother BigBrother] /bb -- Checks buffs in raids, and alerts on CC-breaking.
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/9706/ CombatAlert] might be good for CC breaking notification..
A threat meter:
- KTM was the old one that people sometimes still use.
/dtm options system
- doesn't seem to fire off when I have a pet.
([http://www.cosmosui.org/download.php?t=addons&f=DurabilityStatus.zip d]) [http://www.cosmosui.org/addons.php?info=DurabilityStatus] [http://www.wowwiki.com/DurabilityStatus Durability Status] /durstatus -- Durability status and repair-helper.
- /durstatus window off
semi-replaced by fizzle
DeuceCommander /deucecommander -- Allows you to more easily configure all the other addons. Sortof.
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/1770/ AutoBuff [Emerald]] /autobuff or /ab
ZOMGBuffs /zomg and /zomgself -- For party/raid/self buffing
- /zomg minimapattach
- Have to fart around a lot to figure out how to get the water shield to be used.
- May have to right-click > behaviour > mousewheel_buff on/off before it'll be recognized and your mouse wheel will work. It's the same old problem with all autobuff AddOns.
- Supports an off-hand weapon buff, yay!
- Has an autobuy feature for reagents. Cool, but it's covered by BuyCrap.
Doesn't seem to really work. Too confusing to set up.
Quartz (Cooldown Timer)
- (Ace) [http://wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=6207.0 Hourglass]
eeShards (Warlock shard management)
(Ace) [http://files.wowace.com/ShardStatus/ ShardStatus]
It could be more simple, and it doesn't need a UI really, but it's nice enough.
(Ace) [http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6770 SellOMatic] /som -- Nice and simple seller. Doesn't actually tell you when you have stuff to sell, it just shows the sell button. I only care about this over the others because it's Ace'd.
- [http://wowui.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=3809 AutoprofitX] -- Sell off your junk items. This one gives you a notification when there's something to sell.
- (Ace) AceProfit -- makes it easy to sell junk items to vendors, based on AutoProfit. FuBar plugin available.
[http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info5108-Clique.html Clique] r92 /clique (use the new spellbook tab) -- Allows you to easily assign key-click combinations to click on a UnitFrame to cast an assigned spell at them without losing focus. Very useful for healing and curing.
[http://wowui.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=2092 Advanced Trade Skill Window] 13/11/2007 069-1194989826 -- Replacement tradeskill window to help automate item manufacture. Stop worrying about what requirements need to be made to make what. It also understands what's on your alts too.
- (Ace) [http://wowace.com/wiki/Skillet Skillet]
(Ace) [http://wowinterface.com/downloads/info6407-StitchUI.html StitchUI]
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/1770/ AutoBuff [Emerald]] /autobuff or /ab 20100-3
- Cannot buff both weapons.
- Cannot hide the square button. It must me moved to the bottom-right.
Doesn't support buff timers for individual buffs.
(Ace) [http://wowace.com/wiki/SimpleSelfRebuff SimpleSelfRebuff] /ssr menu -- doesn't have a per-buff recast timing setting.
- Recasts while I'm a Ghost Wolf. Doesn't allow a separate rebuff timer per buff.
- Doesn't work in combat. Disables the scroll wheel if it buffs my off-hand. Doesn't support buff timers for individual buffs
[http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info4584-SmartBuff.html SmartBuff] 2.3a -- WAY too overwhelming to actually use.
Doesn't support buff timers for individual buffs
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/2003/ Bongos2] 1.9.6 /bongos for the gui, or /bongos menu for the text menu. -- A button bar helper thingy. A bit rough in some cases but definitely usable and has some really awesome functionality. It's also a hotkey manager! AWESOME. You can set hotkeys right from your spellbook.
- InfiniBar -- Way too complex.
[http://wowace.com/wiki/FlexBar2 FlexBar2] and FlexBar2_BuffDur - requires: FuBar
- It needs a UI.
- [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/5002/ BindPad] for hotkeys.
(Ace) [http://wowace.com/wiki/Bartender3 Bartender3]
(Ace) Chaman2 /chaman2 -- A simple automatically-updated button bar. It makes life more simple. It also does totem timers!
For earth shield: F=focus, T=Target, A=Assist (target of target)
- /gotwood lock to hide the tacky wood paneling.
- Seems to share some code with WFtotem.
- As of 2007-11-27 I could see no way to disable its button bar feature and only use the totem timers.
WFtotem /wftotem -- Totem timers.
- Seems to share some code with Yata.
- /wftotem x -900 ; /wftotem y -200 -- this can show it, but actually casting a totem does nothing.
- [http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info6521-TotemTimers.html Totem Timers] just displays text and not actual bars with timers.
- [http://wowui.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=4230 TotemAid v2]
- [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/5017/ TotemTracker]
[http://www.svendtofte.com/misc/estrack/ estrack] -- Earth Shield Track -- needs some help.
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/7731/ LiteAssist] 1.8 -- Helps you fight your target's target (ToT). This largely removes the need for UIFrames which do ToT. Set up your primary person and a hotkey to fight whatever they're fighting.
Set it up with hotkeys: F to assist, shift-F to learn your target, ctrl-F to learn your mouseover target.
- [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/5493/ BAssistFu]
- [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/736/ ZAssist]
- [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/114/ AssistHelper]
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/3998/ QTargetX] -- Might be useful for simpler targetting, but I'm not sure.
(Ace) [http://www.wowace.com/wiki/Prat Prat], /prat waterfall
in /prat waterfall use the 'all modules' to turn a module on. Yes, it's sad.
- (Ace) [http://wowace.com/wiki/Cellular Cellular] -- Groups whispers together. URL copying. Basic spam protection. Simple philosophies. Doesn't properly tab all whispers from all parties though.
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/5119/ URL Copy (fan update)] 1-3-20000
- Out of date, force-load works.
- (Ace) ChainLink
- [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/6660/ Whisper Enhanced] splits whispers into their own tab. Plays a sound when you receive a whisper. (broken, and needs to be updated/improved somewhat)
- [http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=4535 Cirk's Chatmanager]
- [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/3198/ Elephant] -- Logs chats and automatically re-displays them upon login.
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/5088/ CustomChat] would be a good alternate.
Important: Convenience, or otherwise really useful/cool ∞
Removing excess features/spam/annoyances, additional information, beautification, etc.
- MBB -- Minimap Button Bar (Ace version) removes all buttons and combines them into one. Let's me hide the buttons which I cannot otherwise disable.
- Moves all the minimap buttons into one hideable box.
- /mbf and /mbf config
/mbf config > display >
-- sort by rows (on)
- columns or rows > 2
- /mbf config > gathering >
-- collect blizzard minimap buttons (on)
-- collect mbf minimap button (on)
-- hide blizard game time icon (on)
-- hide blizard minimap zoon icons (on)
-- hide world map button (on)
- just collects them, doesn't hide them. I posted a comment to ask for this.
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/3558/ FastQuest Classic] -- For turning in quests more easily.
- [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/7974/ DBM Auto Turn In] -- For turning in quests more easily.
QuestAnnouncer /qa -- Informs your other party members of your quest status. Seems very nice.
Recap -- It seems dated from websites I've seen, but it's shiny and new in Ace.
- (Cosmos) Damage Meters
- (Ace) Recount
- (Ace) [http://wowace.com/wiki/Violation Violation]
(Ace) [http://wowace.com/wiki/Assessment Assessment]
(Ace) FreeRefills -- Automatically purchase certain things when at a shop.
[http://www.wowace.com/wiki/BuyCrap BuyCrap] /buycrap -- automatically buy stuff. You have to have the item in your inv, from what I can tell. I've tried using the link directly but maybe I'm doing it wrong? Sometimes it just doesn't work.
- /buycrap item [link to item] #
ZOMGBuffs can also do it.
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/4784/] Outfitter -- For equipment sets and auto-swapping. It even suggests kits for certain purposes (like dps vs healing). Does automatic trinket-cycling, but it doesn't seem to work the way I expect since unequipping some trinkets on cooldown will disable their power. Even understands when the bank is open and will withdraw/deposit intelligently. Spec-fucking-tacular. Can even auto-equip based on certain actions like skinning or fishing.
configuration: Set up a few suits. Enable hotkeys for them. Then go into your hotkey manager (in Khaos Configure) and assign keys. I reassigned control-1 through 0 for suits 1-10 so I can manually swap suits with hotkeys. When using hotkeys it does say what you're swapping to. Then go check out the main Outfitter topic for more details and some scripts I use.
- also: [http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info6818-ItemRack2.1.html ItemRack 2.1] might be usable when it does automatic swapping.
(Ace) [http://www.wowace.com/wiki/ClosetGnome ClosetGnome], ClosetGnome_Fishing, ClosetGnome_Zone - requires: ItemBonusLib -- It's.. not .. actually there? I can't fathom how to use it and there are no instructions. I think maybe it's disabled by default..
- [http://altitis.treehuggers.info/2007/10/31/addons-in-review-closetgnome-and-closetgnome-banker/ review]
- [http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info4481-Wardrobe2.html Wardrobe2] -- but this seems old
- [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/2802/ TwinTrinkets] -- For managing trinkets. I wonder if it'll auto-swap when I mount..
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/148/ QuickMountEquip] -- For mount trinkets
Combat/Status notifier -- I want to know when I'm in combat, and what tagged me.
(Ace) [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/4968/ BanzaiAlert] /banzai -- Flashes the screen and tells you in chat what is onto you. Also flashes the screen when you're low on health.
- /banzai onlyingroup (Off)
- /banzai lost (On)
/banzai sound none (no sound)
- bugged? it keeps turning back on! So I deleted AddOns/BanzaiAlert/sounds/*
- (Cosmos) Monitor Status
- (Ace) Parrot /parrot -- A modifier to the scrolling combat text.
- (Ace) [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/9706/ CombatAlert] -- Just looks like another scrolling text AddOn.
- [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/3395/ Mik Scrolling Battle Text] (MSBT)
- [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/111/ Scrolling Combat Text] (SCT)
(sortof) [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/4347/ Low Health Warning]
[http://files.wowace.com/RicoMiniMap/] [http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info5686-RicoMiniMap.html RicoMiniMap] /rmm
- Better than SimpleMiniMap because I can add QuickMapNotes to the minimap, and also it displays the MapNotes icons. Worse than SimpleMiniMap because the border is heavier and the compasspoints are displayed.
- one day this can be obsoleted by [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/8805/ Bongos Skinned Map]
- drag it out to the left a bit.
right-click to get the menu >
- show coordinates (un-check)
- shape > square
- scale > click on the number, type 100 and press enter.
- zone text location > click on the number, type -6 and press enter.
show zone text (checked)
I think bongos is interfering with this feature, but let's check it just in case.
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/8805/ Bongos Cornucopia] -- Minimap replacement.
doesn't seem to actually do anything. I don't know how to configure it.
(Ace) [http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=11384 Chinchila]
Cannot add QuickMapNotes to the minimap. =(
(Ace) [http://files.wowace.com/simpleMinimap/] SimpleMiniMap -- Various mods to the minimap. Removes the clutter. Shows pings on the minimap. Cannot right-click to perform regular interaction on the minimap, which is annoying.
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/9943/ StopInvites] 1.1 /stopinvites -- A simple addon that stops level 1 spammers in starting zones from inviting you to a group. Also has options to ignore group, guild, and duel invites. Uses Ace, configure with the /stopinvites command or through the ace addon manager if you have it.
- [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/7705/ BugMeNot] -- Named after an existing product, but perhaps this could be useful for auto-declining dual requests.
- [http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/3154/ Spam Guard Plus] -- Unlimited ignores, awesome spam filtering.
(Ace) MBB -- Minimap Button Bar (Ace version) removes all buttons and combines them into one. Let's me hide the buttons which I cannot otherwise disable.
(Ace) [http://wowuibeta.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=3216 Detached Minimap Buttons] 0942-1195613999 /dmbs -- Lets you relocate the minimap buttons anywhere you want.
- It works, but I just want to fold them all into a menu. =( I also don't know how to find buttons when they go missing. =/
- To hide Cosmos' obsolete Khaos Configure minimap button, control and left click it. I think it's shoved under the minimap. =)
one day this can be obsoleted by [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/8805/ Bongos Skinned Map]
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/10061/ Armory] v2.4.6 /ar -- Lets you view the character details of any of your characters while logged in as any other. Doesn't modify your mouseover to let you easily compare with the selected alt's worn equipment.
Cosmos' CharactersViewer -- This one modifies the mouseover to let you compare with what your alt has. But it doesn't show socketed items.
(Ace) Cartographer and its companion addons.
- [http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/354/ Atlas] -- Instance Maps
(Ace) Mapster ([http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=11282.0 thread]) might be useful, but I'm not sure.
Chaos' Archaeologist's target info for health/etc can be replaced by MobInfo2, but the rest of archaeologist cannot.
[http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/8709/ TipTac] /tiptac 08.02.06 -- lets me lift up the bottom-right tooltip and put it next to the mouse! it also shows buffs and other handy things *right there*.
Cosmos' [http://www.cosmosui.com/addons.php?info=TooltipsKhaos Tooltips: Complete] -- Probably a really weak replacement.
(Ace) Vibrant -- Seems somewhat insane. =(
Useful, but can live without ∞
(Ace) QuestAnnouncer /qa -- Informs your other party members of your quest status. Seems very nice. I'm not sure how to remove the minimap icon. =(
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/5437/ Quest Announce] 2.0 -- Nice and simple.
The maintainer isn't the original author I don't think, and he doesn't speak English (German native speaker) so speak simply!
(Ace) FuBar_ToFu -- flight timer, works with Quartz.
- it's really nice because it shows icons on my minimap too. No more hunting around.
[http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/638/ FlightMap] /flightmap -- Flight timer and path helper. Also shows some stellar icons on the mini and world maps. Just awesome.
- The flight bar should count DOWN, not up. =/ Check your Quartz settings and set flight to 'deplete'.
- /questhelper ftime
[http://www.wowace.com/wiki/InFlight InFlight] and InFlight_Load /inflight -- Flight timer and more.
Can unshift from shapeshifted forms, but it I can't use the Quartz bar (which I prefer)
Cosmos (Unit Frames Replacement component)
PitBull - unitframes replacement and more.
- has all kinds of magical plugins which would be awesome. But it's ugly as sin and too distracting to use. =/
- (Ace) StellarBars /stellarbars -- Instead of a complete replacement this is a modification to the standard Unit Frames. Does out of range colouring and the display of XP. Obsoleted by my UI preferences, and Bongos2
- backup?: (Ace) [http://wow.aspide.it/ AlarTTFrame] /ATT gui -- Shows your target of target in a nice way. But it's a bit of a duplication and I can't remember how to turn off the mini TOT that I have. I won't use it because it has a big space-wasting notifier of the class/race of the person targetted. Fooey.
- backup?: (Ace) [http://wowace.com/wiki/StellarUF StellarUF] /stellaruf -- UnitFrames replacement. Too small, too odd. Doesn't display the voice chat stuff. Handles the flight timer nicely. It just seems awkward to me, and using it messed me up so often so I stopped using it. It does a nice cooldown timer.
Obsoleted by StellarBars: (Ace) [http://wow.aspide.it/modules/AlarMods/AlarArtRemover.html AlarArtRemover] /aar gui -- Removes the nonessential art.
- Looks like it's obsoleted by Bongo Bars
Cosmos' NotesUNeed is supposed to replace Cosmos' SocialMods' Social Notes but.. it really doesn't. It's not very convenient. =(