I rather liked this. Simple enough, and very filling.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C orange juice
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 can tomato paste
- 4 (15.5 ounces) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- This is optional. You can also add more if you wish.
- Either a large pan or a medium-large pot for cooking everything
- A wooden spoon for stirring
- A small knife, for chopping your veggies
- A can opener, to open your canned food
- A 1-cup measuring cup
A teaspoon or a good eye for guessing.
- Chop your two onions
- Put the onion in your pot with the oil, set to medium heat
- While waiting for the onions to cook, open your cans of beans and begin rinsing them. Return to your pot to stir your onions. You don't want them browned, just cookied a bit for around five minutes.
- Add your salt, cumin, cinnamon and garlic, cook for another five minutes, stirring more regularly.
- Add your lime and orange juice, and mix well.
- Add your tomato paste, and make sure you stir it very well
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer (slightly bubbling)
- Add your beans, and stir the mixture
Return to the pot to stir occasionally. You should be done in about 20 minutes or whenever you feel like being done.
Serve stuffed inside of pita.
- I rather liked this. Simple enough, and very filling.
- Good with cheese, I'm tempted to treat this just like a vegetarian taco
This needs a decent pita or it's quite a waste. I tried this with crappy pita and the bread really took away from the experience.