Linux FTP Daemons ∞
See Web servers
- PureFTPd -- Based on troll-ftpd
- WU-FTPD -- Reportedly has a poor security history.
- BSDFTPD-SSL - secure FTP daemon for FreeBSD and Linux
- tnftpd -- was lukemftpd - No real homepage?
- ftpd-bsd -- < 0.3.2 has a remote exploitable hole. Their 0.3.3 is recent, is that fixed? This project may still be unmaintained.
- Troll-ftpd -- A small, simple server for the old and hairy File Transfer Protocol, designed to use less resources than older servers, be smaller, and to never execute any external program. It supports only the most-used features and commands of FTP, and leaves out everything which is deprecated, meaningless, or correlates with trouble.
- lukemftp -- No real homepage, was renamed to tnftpd
dftpd- distributed file transfer protocol daemon
- Won't Test -- Java, and I couldn't find its homepage anyway.
- Ginseng-ftpd -- port of BSD-ftpd to Linux with many custom features. This project appears to be dead.
- oftpd -- Has not been updated since mid-2001
publicfile -- httpd and ftpd. Toots its own horn a lot, but I can't find a reference to a changelog or a date of last release. Looking at the source, I see all files set to the end of 1999.
Linux FTP clients ∞
The following are notes from 2007-01-12 or earlier.
Commandline FTP Clients ∞
X-Windows FTP Clients ∞
- Doesn't actually save passwords consistently.
- Requires: Gtk+ >=1.2.3, pthread libraries
Tested and failed, or won't test ∞
These don't, or won't, meet my needs.
- Allows users to queue ftp upload requests for processing when a network connection is available. Useful for web authors with a dial-up link to the net, for example: just queue any changed files and have them automatically uploaded on dial-up.
Yafc - Yet Another FTP Client
cftp - Comfortable FTP
- No real homepage? Not updated since Sep 2002.
info cftpfor the manual (had to watch installation to learn this)
H(capital) for help, but there's no internal list of commands that I can see.
- (clunky) -- This could have been made a lot more easy to use. This is quite nice, but LFTP is better.
- Not bundled together, but a set of separate clients. (won't test)
- has been continued as Bitbeamer (not released).
- (can't test)
- Requires: Motif or GTK+
- Not updated since early 2000
- Not updated since 2000
- 0.1, and really isn't under development.
- single-file http/ftp download tool
- A commandline tool for mirroring remote files via FTP.
- Could be a different fget. This is source and appears to be a client.
- Minimilistic http file retriever
- fget's creation was prompted by this.
- A simple FTP client written to copy files or directories (recursively) from an FTP server.
- 2021-05-01 -- I've been using LFTP for this for some time.
- This project must have died a while back.