The original maintainers abandoned this FAQ. While this isn't a project of mine, I'll note things which are out of date if I come across anything.
TODO - My cache is from Dec 2003, but it was further-updated.
- 1 12) Martial Arts Glossary
- 2 13) A small bibliography
- 3 14) Sources of information
- 3.1 14.1) Martial arts schools in North America
- 3.2 14.2) FAQ ftp site (dead)
- 3.3 14.3) Aikido Dojo Directory
- 3.4 14.4) Classical Japanese Martial Arts Electronic Magazine
- 3.5 14.5) Traditional Karate Mailing List
- 3.6 14.6) Aikido-L Mailing List
- 3.7 14.7) Tuite/Acupuncture Discussion Group
- 3.8 14.8) The Martial Arts Digest
- 3.9 14.9) Jujutsu and Kokikai Aikido Mailing Lists
- 3.10 14.10) Japanese Sword Arts Mailing List and FTP site
- 3.11 14.11) Chinese Shao-lin Center Electronic Mail List (CSC-List)
- 3.12 14.12) Martial Arts and Sword/TV and Film Mailing List
- 3.13 14.13) Taichichuan Mailing List
- 3.14 14.14) Neijia (Internal Chinese Martial Arts) Mailing List
- 3.15 14.15) Kyudo (Japanese Archery) Mailing List
- 3.16 14.16) Korean Martial Arts Mailing List
- 3.17 14.17) Eskrima/Kali/Arnis Mailing List
- 3.18 14.18) Martial Arts WWW pages
- 3.19 14.19) Kung Fu Mailing List
- 3.20 14.20) Taekwondo Net Forum Mailing List
- 3.21 14.21) Kempo Mailing List
- 3.22 14.22) Tuite-Ki Mailing List
- 3.23 14.23) Policedo Mailing List
- 4 15) Sources for material & equipment
12) Martial Arts Glossary ∞
|sparring||training with another person using actual blows|
|gi||uniform worn when training|
|kata||prearranged series of movements|
|ki||energy, living power, spirit|
|dobak||uniform worn when training|
|poomse||prearranged series of movements|
|qi||energy, living power, spirit (same as chi)|
|Set||three (don't aspirate the "t"s)|
|Net||four (don't aspirate the "t"s)|
|qi||energy, living power, spirit (same as ch'i)|
|shifu||teacher (also "sifu")|
13) A small bibliography ∞
The Original Martial Arts Encyclopedia: Tradition, History, Pioneers - (1993 book), by John Corcoran
- with Emil Farkas and Stuart Sobel
- Pro-Action Publications
- ISBN Number: 0-9615126-3-6
- aka Go Rin No Sho
- The Essence of Ninjutsu, by Masaaki Hatsumi
Budo Jiten, 2nd Edition. F. J. Lovret
- Taseki Publishing.
Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts. Draeger & Smith
- Publisher: Kodansha International
- ISBN Number: 0-87011-436-0
- ISBN Number in Japan: 4-7700-0913-5
- (by Sun Tzu)
- Zen in the Art of Archery. Eugen Herrigel
- The Bible of Karate: Bubishi, translated with commentary by Patrick Mc Carthy.
- Okinawan Karate. Mark Bishop
- Karate-Do, My Way of Life. Gichin Funakoshi
- Karate-Do Nyumon. Gichin Funakoshi
- Karate-Do Kyohan. Gichin Funakoshi
- The Student's Handbook. Frederick Lovret
- The Filipino Martial Arts. Dan Inosanto
- Absorb What is Useful. Dan Inosanto
- Budo. Morihei Ueshiba
- Zen in the Martial Arts. Joe Hyams
The Martial Artist's Book of Five Rings - (1994 book), Translation by Hanshi Steve Kaufman
- Charles E. Tuttle Company, Inc.
In general, books from the Kodansha Editors carry a reputation of being serious and at the same time direct and objective.
Pro-Action Publishing A Division of Pro-Action Sports, Inc. 1717 N. Glendale Bl. Los Angeles, CA 90026
Kodansha America, Inc. 114 Fifth Ave. New York, NY 10011 212-727-6460 Tel. Orders: 800-631-8571 [Visa, American Express, Mastercard only]
Taseki Publishing Co. 3579 Ruffin Road #205 San Diego, CA 92123 619-278-1348
14) Sources of information ∞
14.1) Martial arts schools in North America ∞
(This section has been removed and is awaiting new information).
2020-02-09 -- I have not researched an update -- ed.
14.2) FAQ ftp site (dead) ∞
The rec.martial-arts FAQ and Newbie Guide are available on ftp
rtfm.mit.edu (dead) in the directory
/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/rec/martial-arts, with the filenames:
HTML versions of the FAQ ∞
14.3) Aikido Dojo Directory ∞
The Aikido Dojo Directory Listings is FTP'able in ASCII format from:
There is also an online Aikido Dojo Search Engine at:
... which will allow you to interactively search through the above ASCII lists.
14.4) Classical Japanese Martial Arts Electronic Magazine ∞
Budo Shinbun is an entirely electronic magazine devoted to the classical Japanese martial arts. It runs under Windows 3.1 and higher, and is complete with pictures. It is entirely automatic, and requires only that the subscriber tell it to "get new" and it will obtain the latest articles (mail too) for reading off-line. It is NOT a BBS. Available from Taseki Publishing (address & phone number above).
14.5) Traditional Karate Mailing List ∞
Another discussion forum, this time a bit more specialized, is the Traditional Karate Mailing List, maintained by Howard S. High, of which we include some of the Charter:
Charter for the Traditional Japanese/Okinawan Karate Group List Name:
The purpose of this group is to provide a forum for individuals who practice one or more of the traditional Japanese/Okinawan Karate styles to share information and discuss issues. This is the first "CYBER-Dojo" as a training supplement to Karate. The list is un-moderated, with restricted membership.
Application for membership is open to any individual who practices traditional Japanese/Okinawan Karate (teachers and students). An exception to this rule will be for those individuals who follow the traditional values but does not belong to a traditional school due to reasons beyond the individual's control. Another exception is for individuals who have not yet selected a martial art to follow. This list can help such individuals choose their path.
A prospective member will send a subscription command to the LISTSERV Host:
command: subscribe karate <firstname_lastname>
The Host will forward an automatic reply which includes the questionaire and the Principles of Conduct. After completing the application, the prospective member will forward the application to:
The questionaire will be reviewed by the listowner. After review, the list owner will either request more information from the applicant, send a Welcome Letter to the new member, or advise the applicant why the membership was not approved.
To find out more information about the Karate CyberDojo, link to the following pages:
The Official Karate CyberDojo Web Page: www.ryu.com/CyberDojo
The Karate CyberDojo Journal: www.jkr.com/cyberdojo/journal
14.6) Aikido-L Mailing List ∞
For those of you interested in an open Internet e-mail discussion list on the Japanese martial art of Aikido, there exists the Aikido-L mailing list.
The purpose of this group is open, public discussion of Aikido. Sharing, understanding and and mutual respect are encouraged. Flaming and arguments (such as 'my style is better than your style') are discouraged.
To join the list, send an e-mail to:
... with the message:
subscribe Aikido-L Firstname Lastname
... in the body of the message.
To participate in the list once subscribed, simply send e-mail to
The above instructions as well as options, FAQs, and information on the Aikido-L Seminars are all available on the Aikido-L website: www.aikido-l.org
14.7) Tuite/Acupuncture Discussion Group ∞
The purpose of this group is to provide a forum in which the theories of traditional Chinese medicine can discussed mainly in relation to the martial arts.
The list is un-moderated, with restricted membership.
How to apply for membership:
All memberships are approved by the group administrator. Membership is open to any open-minded martial artist, acupuncturist, alternative healer, or anyone /actively/ interested in any of the above.
A prospective member will send a subscription command to:
In the body of the message will only be one line of the form - subscribe
The subject of the subscription request mail should be SUBSCRIBE to provide quicker response. For example, if Joe Blow at
firstname.lastname@example.org wishes to subscribe, he would send:
The list owner will receive the subscription request forward an application to you. Further instructions will be provided with this application. Subscription will NOT be granted without having completed the application process.
Serious applicants only! Participation is the key to our group. If your intention is to sign up, receive lots of in-depth knowledge from others, and contribute nothing, do not apply. If everyone contributes - - the whole will be greater than the sum of the parts!
POSSIBLE TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION:
- - Traditional Chinese Medicine - 5 Element Theory - Yin/Yang Theory - Kata or Forms bunkai as it relates to TCM - Book/Video reviews - Pressure point locations - Pressure point Knock Outs - Revival techniques
14.8) The Martial Arts Digest ∞
To subscribe to Martial-Arts-Digest, send the command: subscribe martial-arts-digest
in the body of a message to
Majordomo@majordomo.cso.uiuc.edu. If you want to subscribe something other than the account the mail is coming from, such as a local redistribution list, then append that address to the
subscribe command; for example, to subscribe
subscribe martial-arts-digest email@example.com
(NOTE: As of 5/97 this list seems not to be active. If you have information on where it has moved, please contact the FAQ maintainer.)
14.9) Jujutsu and Kokikai Aikido Mailing Lists ∞
To join one of the following lists, send an interactive message (if you are on bitnet) or email (if you are on Internet) to either:
LISTSERV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Internet) with the message:
SUBSCRIBE Listname 'your full name'
JUJUTSU Jujutsu List KOKIKAI Kokikai Aikido List (The AIKIDO-L list is discussed separately in section 14.6)
14.10) Japanese Sword Arts Mailing List and FTP site ∞
iaido-l Japanese Sword Arts Mailing List
To join the Iaido list, send email to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the command:
subscribe iaido-l <your name>
The iaido-l FTP site is at
foxsun.nscl.msu.edu, where people can log in anonymously and find all sorts of information in pub/iaido, including the Japanese Sword Arts FAQ and dojo lists for North America and Europe.
14.11) Chinese Shao-lin Center Electronic Mail List (CSC-List) ∞
PURPOSE: To provide information, class and training schedules for instructors and students (both active and non active) of Grand Master Sin Kwang The' 's Shao-lin System.
SUBSCRIBING: send a message to
email@example.com with the words
subscribe shaolin in the body of the message.
Please send questions to the list owner:
14.12) Martial Arts and Sword/TV and Film Mailing List ∞
To sign up, send a message to
firstname.lastname@example.org, and write in the body of the message:
Subscribe mastvf-l Your name
Please note that the list name is entirely alpha (that's an L, not a 1), and that you write your own name in where it says Your Name.
To send messages to the list, send to
email@example.com. Personal messages to the listowner go to
Please note that this list is unmoderated, but that no flaming will be allowed! Anyone violating this rule will be suspended from the list, and if the problem persists, they will be unsubscribed. This is a friendly list, and we want everyone to be comfortable and feel free to express themselves without fear of having someone jump down their throat. Also, please note that this list is not echoed to or from usenet; there is no direct newsgroup access.
Digest format is available if you want all the day's messages collected in one large post. After you are subscribed, send a message to
firstname.lastname@example.org, and put in the body of the message:
Set mastvf-l digest
The purpose of this list is to discuss martial arts and sword work on tv and in the movies, or conversely, to discuss any aspects of one's favorite tv shows and movies that are oriented toward the martial arts and sword.. Discussions of individual episodes of other programs that are heavy on the martial arts or sword are welcomed as well.
14.13) Taichichuan Mailing List ∞
A talk/discussion group of individuals interested in the art, history, development and preservation of Tai Chi Chuan, Chi Kung, and related arts. The Taichichuan mailing list can be subscribed to by sending
subscribe taichichuan in the body of a message to
14.14) Neijia (Internal Chinese Martial Arts) Mailing List ∞
Neijia (internal chinese martial arts) mailing list can be subscribed to by sending
subscribe neijia in the body of a message to
14.15) Kyudo (Japanese Archery) Mailing List ∞
Kyudo, or Japanese archery, mailing list. This list is a general discussion list about the topic of kyudo.
subject: none needed
actual distribution list:
General questions queries comments and flames to:
General questions queries comments and flames to:
email@example.com (Tom Utiger)
14.16) Korean Martial Arts Mailing List ∞
Do you practice Korean martial arts? e.g. Tang Soo Do, Hwa Rang Do, Kuk Sool Won, Taekwondo, Taek Kyon, Hapkido, Soo Bahk Do, Gumdo, Yudo, Ship Pal Ki, Yu Sool, Kong Soo Do, Kung Jung Moo Sool, etc. Our readers range from 9th gup (white belt) to 9th Dan.
Come practice with us at the The_Dojang, 9 years of continuous operation.
the_dojang is a ~900 member e-mail distribution list for the RESPECTFUL discussion of all Korean martial arts. We remain the oldest, largest and the premier internet discussion forum devoted to the Korean martial arts. All are welcome!
The list is managed by "Mailman". To subscribe to The_Dojang go to:
Brought to you by http://www.martialartsresource.com/index.html
14.17) Eskrima/Kali/Arnis Mailing List ∞
Do you practice Eskrima, Escrima, Kali, Arnis, Dumog or some other Filipino martial art? If so, why not join the Filipino martial arts e-mail distribution list, the premier internet discussion forum devoted to the FMAs.
The Eskrima list is a ~1100 member e-mail distribution forum for the respectful discussion of the Filipino martial arts, for those wheresoever dispersed around the globe. 9 years of continuous operation.
The list is managed by "Mailman". To subscribe to the Eskrima list go to:
Brought to you by http://www.martialartsresource.com/index.html
Mabuhay ang eskrima!
14.18) Martial Arts WWW pages ∞
GroundAndPound: www.groundandpound.com covers news, commentaries, techniques and tape reviews from all of the martial arts.
- Isshin-Ryu Karate: www.physics.sunysb.edu:80/~gene/MA/isshinryu.html
- World-Wide Martial Arts Supply: www.corp-reflection.com/dojo/index.html
- Judo Information Site: www.JudoInfo.com
- West Los Angeles Karate School: WLAkarate.com
- The Official Karate CyberDojo Web Page: www.ryu.com/CyberDojo
- The Karate CyberDojo Journal: www.jkr.com/cyberdojo/journal
- Japan Karate-Do Ryobu-Kai: https://web.archive.org/web/20001109123200/http://www.jkr.com:80/
- Qigong/Eastern Philosophies: vitamins.net/forums/eastern [ 1 ] dead, not archived
- Uechi-Ryu and Traditional Okinawan Karate: home.ici.net/~uechi/home/pulse.html [ 2 ] dead, not archived
- Brazilian Association of Krav Maga: https://kravmaga.com.br/
- Latosa Escrima: www.uni-koblenz.de/~keller/renel/renel.html
- The Korean and Filipino Martial Arts web site: http://www.martialartsresource.com/index.html
- The World Martial Arts Academy WTF style KoreanTaekwondo site: www.worldtaekwondo.com
- The Virtual Library: Martial Arts: https://web.archive.org/web/20190923042702/http://microbiol.org:80/vl.martial.arts/
- Martial Arts Data Base www.madb.de/index.en.html
Training Knives/Live Blades:
International Shao Lin Kung Fu Institute & Triad Kung Fu and Arnis Academy 4825-B Country Club Rd., Winston-Salem, NC 27104; www.dokungfu.com Phone: 336-774-1943 Email:
- Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu in the United States (and worldwide): www.hyrusa.com
American Martial Arts Supply: https://amas.net/
14.19) Kung Fu Mailing List ∞
The Kung Fu Mailing List is for the discussion of all traditional chinese martial arts. To join, all one has to do is send a message to
firstname.lastname@example.org with either:
in the body of the message. The first is for a non-digest version while the second is for people who just want to receive one daily digest of the discussions.
14.20) Taekwondo Net Forum Mailing List ∞
The Taekwondo Net Forum is a mailing list discussion forum for martial arts that have origins in Korea.
If you would like to be added to this mailing list, send a message to
email@example.com with these words in the body text of the message:
Though it is called "taekwondo-net", the forum is open to discussion on all topics relating to all Korean Martial Arts.
14.21) Kempo Mailing List ∞
The Kempo mailing list is an e-mail discussion group open to Kempo and Kenpo practitioners to discuss Kempo/Kenpo and related manners.
To subscribe, send an empty e-mail to:
14.22) Tuite-Ki Mailing List ∞
'Tuite_Ki' was founded April 5, 2000 Membership is restricted/moderated. Members: 50 (as of 7/25/00)
For more information:
Egroups.com Category: Top : Sports : Martial Arts URL: www.egroups.com/group/Tuite_Ki
14.23) Policedo Mailing List ∞
The Policedo discussion forum.
An e-mail distribution list for the respectful discussion of law enforcement and martial arts matters, for all those wheresoever dispersed around the globe. All are welcome!
How to join the Policedo email discussion group, a publication of the PMAAI (Police Martial Arts Association International).
The list is managed by the "Mailman" listserver software. To subscribe to the list go to:
ORDO IUSTE (Order Justly)
15) Sources for material & equipment ∞
North America ∞
- Academy of Karate Martial Arts Supplies 405 Black Horse Pike Haddon Heights, NJ 08035 609-547-5445
- BLT Supplies, Inc., 77 Mulberry Street, New York, NY 10013-4438 Tel:212-732-8388 Fax:212-385-2519 Toll Free:800-322-2860 www.BLTSupplies.com E-mail:
- Bugei Trading Company https://bugei.com/
- California S and P Inc. 10545-B San Pablo Ave.; El Cerrito, CA 94530; USA 415-527-6032
- Century Martial Art Supply, Inc. 1705 National Blvd.; Midwest City, OK 73110; USA 800-626-2787
- Chris Nickolas American Arts Karate Martial arts supplies (wholesale/retail) 4858 S. Main St. Akron, Ohio 44319 216-645-0818 Internet:
- Defense Arts, Inc. P.O. Box 1028; Smyrna, GA 30081; USA 404-434-0370
- East West Markets Exchange, Inc. 5533 North Broadway; Chicago, IL 60640; USA 312-878-7711
- Far East Books 2029 North Park St. Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3K 4B2 902-422-8142 FAX 902-422-1998 Internet
firstname.lastname@example.orgChinese Martial Arts, Religions, and Healing Disciplines; catalogue available
- Honda Martial Arts Supply Co. 61 West 23rd St.; New York, NY 10010; USA 800-USA-NYNY or 212-620-4050
- Kathol Kreations - Martial Arts Belt Displays katholkreations.hypermart.net
- Kim Pacific Martial Arts Supplies 1451 Doolittle Dr.; San Leandro, CA 94577; USA 800-227-0500
- Kiyota Company 2326 North Charles St.; Baltimore, MD 21219; USA 800-783-2232 or 410-366-8275
- Macho Products 10045 102nd Terrace Sebastian, FL 32978 800-327-6812 e-mail
- Martial Arts Supplies Co., Inc. 10711 Venice Blvd.; Los Angles, CA 90034-6294; USA 213-870-9866
- Master Guard Chest Protectors - specializing in women's chest protectors https://qpsport.com/
- Musashi Martial Arts 1842 S. Grand Ave.; Santa Ana, CA 92705; USA 714-557-4274
- PAIS Enterprises P.O. Box 518, Miliken Post Office; Milliken, Ontario, LOH 1K0, CANADA 416-299-8168
- S & P of New York Budo, Inc. P.O. Box 2; Depew, NY 14043; USA 716-681-7911
- Saghafi Enterprises 1604 Niagara Falls Blvd.; Tonawanda, NY 14150; USA 716-832-3322
- Top Brands Box 51331; New Orleans, LA 70151; USA 504-522-4540
World-Wide Martial Arts Supply P.O. Box 3132 Bethlehem, PA 18017
Scandanavian Sources ∞
(most from a MA chain store called SBI)
- SBI BUDOSPORT Sodra Forstadsgatan 66 Box 17092 200 10 Malmo SWEDEN Tel: +46 (0)40 101585 Fax +46 (0)40 301405
- SBI Stockholm Torsgatan 40 (S:t Eriksplan) 113 62 Stockholm SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)8 308808 Fax +46 (0)8 331884
- SBI Leksand Insjovagen 48 790 30 Insjon SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)247 40654
- SBI Umea Backenvagen 87 902 51 Umea SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)90 31285
- SBI Ostergotland Nygatan 31A 582 24 Linkoping SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)13 126680
- WOLFGANGS JUDO & SPORT Box 88 820 77 Gnarp SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)625 20580
- JT BUDOSPORT Box 3022 850 03 Sundsvall SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)60 158002
- SHINPRO Gullberna Park 371 06 Karlskrona SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)455 27974
- Intersport Lulea Storgatan 26 951 31 Lulea SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)920 17320
- Charles Harbour Sport Gustavsborgsvagen 10 374 38 Karlshamn SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)454 19600
- Budoshopen Slakterigatan 6 721 32 Vasteras SWEDEN Tel +46 (0)21 143218
- Orebro Gym & Kraftsportcenter Drottninggatan 29 = 702 22 Orebro SWEDEN
- Fighter Sport Storgatan 37 Postboks 4781 0506 Oslo NORWAY Tel 22114055 Fax 22208708
SBI Fighter Shop Jagtvej 70 2200 Kopenhavn N DENMARK Tel 35374700 Fax 35374702
Other Sources ∞
Agate Impex 457 MODEL TOWN, SIALKOT, PAKISTAN; www.agateimpex.com.pk