I had speed issues, as well as anomalies on the background images of some websites, like http://slackware.com/. Most annoyingly was the horrible hanging in the visual editor when making a new post in WordPress. This is using Slackware 12.2 and either Firefox 3.0.11 or 3.5.1, with or without safe mod.
Here's how I solved the issue.
- (redirects to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx)
- 2017-08-02 update: See https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux
- In the leftmost column, select
- In the next column, select
- In the last column, select
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
- Scroll down and click
- Open up a terminal
cdto your download location.
chmod ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run(or whatever your filename is)
./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run(or whatever your filename is)
Install Driver 8.593 n X.Org 7.1 7.2 7.3(or whatever you see)
- Continue the installation.
- After completion, run
aticonfig --initial -f
I ended up installing my kernel headers because I wanted to make a distribution package, but that didn't work easily enough and I didn't want to troubleshoot.
Now I need to solve an odd sound issue and Slackware 12.2 will be working the way I want.