Well, I got schooled with all kinds of bootloader and install issues I was having with Unity Linux 0.99-alpha2.
Boy did I get into trouble. I took three pages of notes before I finally managed to scrap 0.99-alpha2 and get 0.99-alpha1 working again.
It's mostly a problem of my lack of understanding too. I'll need to take another pass at the whole affair after reading some advice I got. I know how I'll do things differently next time.
I hope to get into it later this week, although docs are a higher priority at this point since I've left things on auto-pilot for a while.. i.e. nobody was doing anything.