See also World of Warcraft Hardmode
This was written some time ago, and I'd still like to pursue it but haven't tried to find a group that could handle this.
The idea is to form a clique of alts which level exclusively and slowly together.
- Schedule play times
- Don't log in outside of those times except to play the AH or work on professions.
If someone can't make it, the group levels to the next nearest 5 levels (level 5, 10, 15, etc) and then waits for the others to catch up. The only possible exception might be the tank.
- However, the random dungeon feature really REALLY breaks when there are level differences, so we may need to restrict this to a certain level goal per session. Stragglers just need to catch up.
- No outside help.. only use the group's resources (so no enchanting help, BoA gear or auction house)
Run instances as early and as frequently as possible, especially to complete instance quests. Don't be scared of Gnomeregan anymore.. we run it and just plow through it repeatedly!
Running quests is simply too boring and easy because of the global nerf; tiny aggro radiuses, wimpy mobs, nearly no elite packs, few patrols.
This idea works well/best with just five players, but it could also be done with more. It works well with a group who hand-pick their roles right from the beginning or with various overlapping offspecs. A group of five paladins would be awesome.
This may also work quite well for casual/part-time players. While this might work to help handhold a new player, I'd really rather not do that. The atmosphere with five experienced players together is electric.
This idea allows a team to really grow together and become an extraordinarily capable team. Variations become possible too:
- Why not run an instance with nobody specced as a tank?
- Or nobody specced as a healer?
- Or both?
- Perhaps have the tank go spartan (Helm, Cloak, Belt, Boots)
- Begin all pulls as double-pulls, the tank pulls one and randomly during that fight a dps will pull another.
If you have a paladin tank, have them "go dead" - drop threat randomly by bubbling and becoming immune to damage so the mobs refocus.
Now imagine two 5-player teams doing this and then forming into a raiding group..