- 2015-05-11 - See also Pisi Linux for a spiritual successor.
2014-08-02 - Seems to have gone Turkish-only.
2009-07-16 - 2008.2 Install CD ∞
- For some reason this one worked just fine.
- The regular KDE config is missing, but it's been absorbed into their all-in-one config tool.
- Firefox fixed-width font was chosen badly.
- Automatically mounts everything it can. I rather dislike that, but I suppose it's a good default for most.
terminus-fontseems like an interesting package, but I can't figure out where the fonts are installed.. I wanted to use them with xterm.
- The first time I used the package manager, it did some animation like it was working, and I minimized it to goof around. I returned to see it sitting there doing nothing. Re-trying, it seems to have worked out just fine. Odd.
- It beeps both at the raw console and in a terminal! Come on people.. that's just annoying.
- Can't log in as root both at the console and in a terminal through a user? Uh, sigh. Nope, I can't su while logged in as a user. It's a basic security setting, and one which I don't know how to resolve. =(
- The X session stops sound when I swap out into a console.
Firefox 3.5 isn't in their repository? =/
sudo pisi install -c system.devel
I just did this:
- (log in as root)
pisi install -c system.devel
Fixing a user so that you can
- (log in as root)
usermod -g wheel user
Switch login managers:
pisi bi http://svn.pardus.org.tr/pardus/playground/eren/desktop/xfce4/slim/pspec.xml pisi it slim*.deb # (.. which fails) service kdebase off service slim on
I do this:
mv /usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm /usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm-ORIGINAL ln -s /usr/bin/xdm /usr/kde/3.5/bin/kdm
KDE executables are not on the path. Instead, they're stuck in
- After Openbox
Konsole doesn't save my preferred schema settings. The default transparent scheme is broken and nasty.
konsole --scheme Linux
- My traditional 100% cpu usage with Firefox seems to have been solved. I get 98% or so, and only when I switch to the tab which is playing a video. When on some other tab, it's around 54%.
Sound doesn't work. I assume some sound server isn't working. When Firefox starts, I get:
ALSA lib pulse.c:274:(pulse_connect) *** PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused *** Is your sound server running? *** See: http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Troubleshooting
2009-04-15 - 2008.2 Install CD ∞
I'll admit that I saved this one for last, because I figured it was a shoe-in. I also just realized that I don't really know what "shoe-in" means. Hrm.
- F2 for language selection. Maybe this was the issue I had with my previous LiveCD test.
- wow, fast bootup!
- wow, really professional feel.
- Good install options, lets me pick sda1 and not install Grub.
- Some funny-awkward English in places.
- No package selection for install. It just goes.
- I can't believe they actually put some ozgurlukizen.com URL and expected people to be able to remember that in the short time it was flashed up.
- Uh, the installer wrapped past 100% and restarted counting from 1%.
- At 127% the CD-drive stopped spinning. It kept trying to install.
- Oh! It says it's configuring, that's why. Not obvious...
- The release notes are viewable while I wait, but it has links in it which do nothing.
Boots fine, but it can't use my keyboard and mouse. FAIL.
2009-03 - 2008.2 LiveCD ∞
- Seems nice and sensible. Good philosophies.
- LiveCD or install CD.
KDE4 is very nice. I was impressed with things. Was all in Turkish by default and I had to figure out how to switch it to English. Even when I did, some programs were still Turkish. Didn't autodetect my network, and I could not figure out how to set that up. If I got it working, I might consider it.. but a tweaked PCLinuxOS still feels better to me.