- IRC channel: #devuan on freenode.net
- https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devuan-announce (broken?)
- 2017-07-07 - Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD
- 2017-07-02 - jessie_1.0.0_i386_desktop-live
- 2017-06-00 -- I did a dist-upgrade, and while it works it's a bit busted. It seems to require systemd for me.
- 2016-11-29 - 1.0.0-beta
- Because Slackware 14.2 64bit and 32bit had freezing issues
- Because Slackware 14.2 32bit kernel updating was an intimidating prospect, and, as I recall, whole-disk encryption was annoying.
- Because Devuan was based on the strong software base of Debian, disk encryption would be easier, and like Slackware it doesn't have systemd.
- 2016-11-07 -- Oh, it's real now!
2015-05-11 -- I'm not really interested in this. The project has not really started.
2017-07-07 - Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD ∞
These notes might be a bit disjoined since my paper notes were misplaced and I found them a month later.
prepared with a simple dd
- Has a live copy2ram
Doesn't get the display right, it mirrors, but the resolution is okay. To fix, I guess.
- No stretch functionality
- Quite manual for the setup
- manually select partitions for mount points
I'm going to have to go back to ext4, and drop btrfs.
- TODO - edit fstab with UUIDs
- couldn't go back to the locale selection
- my choice of encrypted password never matches...
- no LVM options?
- TODO - get the Devuan install ISO
- wow, very manual and specific
freezes on the GRUB install
- Debian live-screen locked, don't know password.
- Tried to switch to root, "
- Cannot cancel attempt'
- console auto-login
root has no password
I installed MATE.
- "Graphical install" freezes
Cold boot, retry
- The same, though numlock is slow to respond
- I waited a lot longer, and it was just very slow.
- Fast and simple installer
- When erasing for encryption,
cancel, is slow.
- I made
I don't know how to make an unencrypted partition when I'm working with encrypted partitions.
- Perhaps with the advanced install?
Booted up fine
No dual monitor
- No, it works, I had to un-check
[_] same image in all monitors
- No, it works, I had to un-check
caja as root?
- caga-exceptions-common -> no
- It has no btrfs support
- I cannot install btrfs-tools, it prompts for the Debian DVD. I got it manuall from Debian
- Devuan is i686? No,
I have a duplicate vgroup name! ARGH!
- Reinstall, fix system name
Try advanced, for an alternate partitioning
- I don't know how to set up an encrypted LVM
- doing guided, I'll separate/resize later, I guess.
TODO - disable ntp, check other services.
/etc/apt/sources.list-> remove the cdrom reference.. then
2017-07-02 - jessie_1.0.0_i386_desktop-live ∞
- The default screen is nice
- Startup freezes on the initial initrd line, but is otherwise fast enough.
Needs lvm2 by default.
apt-get install lvm2
- Fucking thunar. Why do people use shit like this?
The desktop uses the top-bar bottom-dock nonsense. Idiots.
2016-11-29 - 1.0.0-beta ∞
A new version came out on the day I finally got everything up and running.. =/ Here's hoping it's happy as a rolling-release.
The guided encrypted LVM - when it overwrites with random data, the text is cut off.
- Can I urandom, after the fact, into a file within the LVM/encrypted LV?
TODO? - Resize the partition using GParted Live?
- Then resize the LVM
- Then make another partition outside of the LVM, accessible by Windows?
Is there an offline installer ISO?
- Well since packages are cached, I could copy them to make them available offline.
- TODO - resurrect my offline updating project and share it.
Attempting to semi-manually set things up so I could have a leftover partition for Windows would not work..
One setup asked me for a kernel, what's the right choice?
linux-image-686-pawseems okay, I guess.
initrd is asking for either the generic or targeted initrd. I chose targeted.
2016-11-07 - devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta_i386_CD ∞
They're using the earlier kernel 3.16.7, so perhaps my freezing issues (which may or may not have to do with the kernel version) will not exist for Devuan.
- TODO - https://git.devuan.org/users/sign_in
- TODO - https://files.devuan.org/?ref=/os/download
I don't know that the main thing will be appropriate, so I'll check out distributions based on it..
Distributions based on Devuan ∞
- 2017-06-30 - Still alpha
- May require its own packages channel.
Has no community? No forum or mailing list that I can see.
- Openbox, Xfce, MATE
- "Created to showcase Devuan", I'm not sure if this is a "real" distro.
- No real website
https://sourceforge.net/p/nelum-dev1/discussion/ is a ghost town.