- IRC channel: #devuan on freenode.net
- https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/devuan-announce (broken?)
- If you can't sign up, you're fucked. See Can't register because you are a 'spammer'? and.. well you can't do anything.
- 2018-04-09 - Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD
- 2017-07-07 - Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD
- 2017-07-02 - jessie_1.0.0_i386_desktop-live
- 2017-06-00 -- I did a dist-upgrade, and while it works it's a bit busted. It seems to require systemd for me.
- 2016-11-29 - 1.0.0-beta
- Because Slackware 14.2 64bit and 32bit had freezing issues
- Because Slackware 14.2 32bit kernel updating was an intimidating prospect, and, as I recall, whole-disk encryption was annoying.
- Because Devuan was based on the strong software base of Debian, disk encryption would be easier, and like Slackware it doesn't have systemd.
- 2016-11-07 -- Oh, it's real now!
2015-05-11 -- I'm not really interested in this. The project has not really started.
- 1 TODO - Ascii
- 2 2018-04-09 - Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD
- 3 2017-07-07 - Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD
- 4 2017-07-02 - jessie_1.0.0_i386_desktop-live
- 5 2016-11-29 - 1.0.0-beta
- 6 2016-11-07 - devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta_i386_CD
- 7 Distributions based on Devuan
TODO - Ascii ∞
- LiveUSB default root password:
The LiveUSB has an installer of some sort, though at a glance it looked nothing like the text/graphical installer I'm used to.
2018-04-09 - Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD ∞
fdisk to make partitions.
- I vaguely remember fdisk doing the Right Thing.
- The Devuan textmode install has no "show password" feature like the Debian one.
- Having separate swap and root partitions which are encrypted means that initial bootup requires typing in both of those passwords. If using LVM, just that one partition needs to be encrypted, and any volumes within it will all be available when their parent LVM partition is.
Installed without the desktop environment.
- This was kindof a good idea, because it saved the download/install of updating all those programs that I might have needed to uninstall anyway.
- This was kindof a shit idea, because I had to download/install a lot of stuff after the fact.
- Hey wait, I wonder if my shit Debian disk access was a shit Debian disk access type, like a scheduler. See my scheduler.sh
- TODO - check out https://popcon.devuan.org/ to get inspiration for things to try!
Debian had a shit console <-> X11 switching speed.
- Though maybe this was part of the disk access problem.
- This is where I began experimentations for solving my Devuan 1.0.0 avconv crash.
- TODO - don't bother with a swap, and just have one huge encrypted
/and do away with LVM entirely, for simplicity.
- TODO - Is it even possible to re-use / overwrite the files of an encrypted partition? Specifically search / ask for help on this topic before the next reinstall (presumably for Devuan ascii)
TODO - My fbpanel volume plugin doesn't appear any more. I think this is because I didn't install the everyday Devuan GUI and its tools, and I'm missing some sort of ALSA/OSS bridge or some shit.
.. and I'm done with my general fucking around. I have a reasonable system again.
2017-07-07 - Devuan-1.0.0-jessie-i386-DVD ∞
These notes might be a bit disjoined since my paper notes were misplaced and I found them a month later.
prepared with a simple dd
- Has a live copy2ram
Doesn't get the display right, it mirrors, but the resolution is okay. To fix, I guess.
- No stretch functionality
- Quite manual for the setup
- manually select partitions for mount points
I'm going to have to go back to ext4, and drop btrfs.
- TODO - edit fstab with UUIDs
- couldn't go back to the locale selection
- my choice of encrypted password never matches...
- no LVM options?
- TODO - get the Devuan install ISO
- wow, very manual and specific
freezes on the GRUB install
- Debian live-screen locked, don't know password.
- Tried to switch to root, "
- Cannot cancel attempt'
- console auto-login
root has no password
I installed MATE.
- "Graphical install" freezes
Cold boot, retry
- The same, though numlock is slow to respond
- I waited a lot longer, and it was just very slow.
- Fast and simple installer
- When erasing for encryption,
cancel, is slow.
- I made
I don't know how to make an unencrypted partition when I'm working with encrypted partitions.
- Perhaps with the advanced install?
Booted up fine
No dual monitor
- No, it works, I had to un-check
[_] same image in all monitors
- No, it works, I had to un-check
caja as root?
- caga-exceptions-common -> no
- It has no btrfs support
- I cannot install btrfs-tools, it prompts for the Debian DVD. I got it manuall from Debian
- Devuan is i686? No,
I have a duplicate vgroup name! ARGH!
- Reinstall, fix system name
Try advanced, for an alternate partitioning
- I don't know how to set up an encrypted LVM
- doing guided, I'll separate/resize later, I guess.
TODO - disable ntp, check other services.
/etc/apt/sources.list-> remove the cdrom reference.. then
2017-07-02 - jessie_1.0.0_i386_desktop-live ∞
- The default screen is nice
- Startup freezes on the initial initrd line, but is otherwise fast enough.
Needs lvm2 by default.
apt-get install lvm2
- Fucking thunar. Why do people use shit like this?
The desktop uses the top-bar bottom-dock nonsense. Idiots.
2016-11-29 - 1.0.0-beta ∞
A new version came out on the day I finally got everything up and running.. =/ Here's hoping it's happy as a rolling-release.
The guided encrypted LVM - when it overwrites with random data, the text is cut off.
- Can I urandom, after the fact, into a file within the LVM/encrypted LV?
TODO? - Resize the partition using GParted Live?
- Then resize the LVM
- Then make another partition outside of the LVM, accessible by Windows?
Is there an offline installer ISO?
- Well since packages are cached, I could copy them to make them available offline.
- TODO - resurrect my offline updating project and share it.
Attempting to semi-manually set things up so I could have a leftover partition for Windows would not work..
One setup asked me for a kernel, what's the right choice?
linux-image-686-pawseems okay, I guess.
initrd is asking for either the generic or targeted initrd. I chose targeted.
2016-11-07 - devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta_i386_CD ∞
They're using the earlier kernel 3.16.7, so perhaps my freezing issues (which may or may not have to do with the kernel version) will not exist for Devuan.
- TODO - https://git.devuan.org/users/sign_in
- TODO - https://files.devuan.org/?ref=/os/download
I don't know that the main thing will be appropriate, so I'll check out distributions based on it..
Distributions based on Devuan ∞
- 2017-06-30 - Still alpha
- May require its own packages channel.
Has no community? No forum or mailing list that I can see.
- Openbox, Xfce, MATE
- "Created to showcase Devuan", I'm not sure if this is a "real" distro.
- No real website
https://sourceforge.net/p/nelum-dev1/discussion/ is a ghost town.