TODO - make a proper page
systemd is a pox on Linux. It has huge amount of dependencies. As it's critical to a distribution, and it's folding in a whole lot of code, it's widely considered unnecessary bloat and a point of attack.
http://without-systemd.org/ might have been a nice idea at the time, but it's dated and incorrect about a number of distributions.
I heard that MATE will have systemd integration.
Probably the biggest issue I have is that it's written by Lennart Poettering, the author of PulseAudio and Avahi. He works for Red Hat. Fuck all that. PulseAudio has a spectacular vision, but is a massive undertaking to get right. It took years and years for it to get through its teething pains. I could only use it after a distribution handled ALL of it on my behalf and made it "just work". I don't want to see that sort of thing happen with systemd.
Fedora/Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a major drive behind systemd. The systemd developer works for Red Hat.
- 2010-07-30 - Rethinking PID 1 by Lennart Poettering -- Manifesto on systemd.
- 2010-08-23 - systemd for Administrators, Part 1 by Lennart Poettering
2010-12-27 - 27th Chaos Communication Congress talk by Lennart Poettering
- on YouTube
2011-04-28 - Why systemd? -- Lennart Poettering's explanation, justification and comparison post.
- 2011-05-04 - The systemd fallacy
2011-06-13 - Lennart Poettering replying to a thread
- (only partly reviewed)
2011-07-17 - A few observations about systemd by Juliusz Chroboczek on the Debian development list.
Linux distributions which use systemd ∞
- 2012-09-10 - OpenSUSE: Not Everyone Likes SystemD by Michael Larabel
Linux distributions which do not use systemd ∞
Developer responses ∞
- 2016-04-09 - I checked him out again, and he has since become a Gentoo developer. Haha. =/
- He has since continued SpaceFM development, and his opinion on systemd has not changed.
Alternatives to systemd ∞
- This was Ubuntu deciding to give the finger to everyone and make their own thing, but they reversed their position and are switching to systemd.
Random notes ∞
Solaris 10 switched to Service Management Facility
It seems curious that "major" distributions push odd new technologies which fundamentally undermine the spirit of the generation.