The Soviets and Cubans invade the United States, and a small band fight to survive.
It's important to understand this movie in the context of the Cold War. As such, this movie doesn't exactly stand the test of time in this respect. The 2012 remake had to blame North Korea because our times are different. Back then, this movie had a believable-enough plot line.
The underlying ideas are good, but the actual plot and movie itself do feel old. I like this movie a lot, but only for its concepts. I don't think it's re-watchable for a non-survivalist.
I've watched this before.
I didn't re-watch this with subtitles. I'll have to redo notes if I watch this again.
- ZOMG, September!
- High school kids being played by 20-somethings.
That's Soviet-era Cuba and the Soviet Union invading.
- See also Cuba-Soviet Union relations
- Why the hell would they be attacking a school like that? Maybe they think everyone in the USA is armed..
- It's jarring to see Patrick Swayze attempting to play someone young.
- Wow, the bits of pine they're wearing looks so stupid.
- The blood-drinking joke is also seen in x
- He spills the blood on himself.. that ruins his coat and soaks him in scent.
- How long would a radio last? I don't remember batteries being particularly good..
- Lea Thompson looks haggard.
- Yay for "equality".
- The pilot is awfully high ranked..
- Disguised as commercial flights? Uh, riiight.
- Nicaraguans were also involved with the Cubans.
- And miss equality falls in love with the first strong man she sees. Sigh.
- The Chinese are on the not-Soviet side. They got fried.
- How come the pilot knows anything about ground tactics? Because his rank implies training?
- The old man is really keen on some tail.
- Was I not paying attention? Where'd they get the winter gear? I assume that like so much, they've been salvaging things.
- Idiot panicking now.. after all that combat experience.
- Uh, there's a hole in the tank for conveniently shooting people inside?
- Idiot shouty kid really pisses me off.
- Yay, idiot shouty kid gets killed.
- Can an RPG really ruin a tank like that? Maybe back then, I guess..
- Yep, she's crying over new crush.
- What, she loved him? Seriously? Is there a quick love story being thrown in here for some reason? Because character motivation?
- omg the gigantic 80s sunglasses on that Cuban.
- Why would the guy suicide after shooting the gunship?
- The caring Cuban..
Wait, I thought equality-girl used a grenade on herself..
.. I got pretty bored 2/3rds of the way in.