It is the 50s, and a Los Angeles private detective is swept up into intrigue when a job he takes goes sideways.
Meh. I can see how this would be interesting for someone who like gumshoe movies, but I don't so I'm bored. It, throughout, seems like it's trying too hard to be like an old black-and-white movie.
- 0:30 -- Oh my god, was this made to intentionally feel old?
2:45 -- Whoa, he was already receding and thinning in 1974? He must be in his 70s now..
- Holy shit, he's 79.
- 6:15 -- Seabiscuit
- Los Angeles, Desert
7:00 -- Vangerlip(?) Dam
- I found St. Francis Dam, which took 431 lives.
- 7:15 -- Shale
- 11:45 -- I guess if everyone wore suits, they'd have plenty of them around and wouldn't mind getting them dirty. Or I suppose he's paid enough to clean them.
- 12:45 -- Oh that is cool.. he can figure out what time the car drove over and broke the pocketwatch.
- 13:30 -- "Water on the brain" = Hydrocephalus
- 19:45 -- Ooh, I really did wonder if that was the right wife, and how the investigators would confirm their identity and not just go on names.
- 25:45 -- I recognize that actor. Was that the guy from Big Trouble in Little China - (1986 movie)?
- 32:15 -- Why couldn't he smoke there?
- 38:00 -- If he got blackout-drunk and passed out, it only takes a few fingers of water to drown.
- 40:00 -- Why was the kid even there?
- 42:00 -- "four shime(?) shoe"
- 46:00 -- Tom Collins is a cocktail
- 1:01:30 -- Is that a glass eye on the fish?
- 1:16:15 -- Antisemitism
- 1:18:15 -- Albacore is a tuna fish.
- 1:20:45 -- Shouldn't she have people around, seeing as the two of them are getting tied up in a murder?
- 1:22:15 -- Peroxide, and a nice Colgate ad in the bathroom cabinet.
- 1:23:30 -- Didn't her husband just die?
- 1:27:30 -- Well they drove to the rest home, so there was time for him to tell her about his meeting her father then..
- 1:34:00 -- My first impression was that she was her sister, but then I wondered if she was her daughter..
- 1:35:45 -- Hasn't he beaten up enough people to have them drop by in the middle of the night?
1:38:45 -- Framing him for murder would conveniently get him out of the way.
- .. and he's still not armed.
- 1:40:30 -- Keeping her wallet is.. a dangerous idea.
- 1:49:30 -- A rich person might have multiple pairs of glasses.
- 1:50:30 -- Well.. called it. Sortof.
- 1:51:15 -- Incest
- 1:51:45 -- Of course he raped her. She didn't like the outcome therefore rape.
- 2:03:45 -- Chinatown
- 2:03:45 -- Did they have signs like that back then?
- 2:06:30 -- What, he buckled before being grabbed.
- 2:06:45 -- .. and this is why they don't shoot at someone who isn't a threat to them.
- 2:07:15 -- Whoa... uuugh.
2:08:45 -- Considering how slowly they went to the mother's sister-daughter's house, I'm shocked they got into chinatown so quickly.