- 2015-05-08 - Discontinued.
Aligned with Red Hat?
- https://web.archive.org/web/20150913011857/https://www.foresightlinux.se/getting-started/ has a link to a FAQ which doesn't exist.
- www.foresightlinux.se/downloads/ has white links on a light grey background. What in the fuck were they thinking?!
- https://web.archive.org/web/20160314072940/http://wiki.foresightlinux.se/ is not a publicly-editable wiki.
- LXDE is a two-dvd set?
- https://web.archive.org/web/20150512140357/http://wiki.foresightlinux.se/index.php?title=Installation talks about installing CentOS, which has Red Hat affiliation.
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=foresight says it's discontinued.
2009-05-15 - lite-2.1.0 ∞
After some significant downtime from some very strange issues, I was able to get Foresight up and running.
2.1.1 was released 2009-05-15 so this review is a little earlier. I'll ignore my minor note that dated my comment "Nice!" at 2009-07-16.
It turns out that my previous experiences with a lot of distributions was largely the fault of LILO. I have no idea how it's possible, but I did save some reference configs and I may be able to unravel the reason behind issues like a freezing keyboard, a monitor powering off and kernel issues where my network card would no longer exist. It wasn't anything obvious, I really had to fart around to figure this all out.
Anyhow, Foresight Linux is impressive. I like it a lot. I installed Foresight Linux lite-2.1.0, which is a GNOME-based LiveCD.
- I was wrong about not being able to install it without wiping a drive. I can install it the way I want.
- Odd that I have to authenticate as myself for some actions. I wasn't prompted to make a root account during install.
- The tty has the correct console resolution!!! Their bootloader is magical! They also have proper colour choices, so I don't have to deal with the dark blue text on a black background.
sudo -ito log in as root. Then use
passwdto set the password. Very non-obvious. I had to look that one up.
- The console beeps! Boo! =( Even a terminal from within X beeps, and has to be disabled by the user. Sigh.
- The raw console font is wrong for text apps and boxes, like links.
- GNOME is pretty good!
- Doesn't have gpm. =/
- Doesn't keep the standard
/boot/initrdsymlinks. I need to refer to the long convoluted full kernel/etc filenames.
- I don't seem to be able to easily use Lilo as a bootloader. It's not provided, and I can get it going from elsewhere, but it simply does not work. That sucks. When I fiddled enough, I had some subtle and bad issues.
I don't know what 'user script' is, in the display manager, to select a different window manager. It would have to be researched.
All in all, I was quite pleased with the experience.
The reason I didn't stay with Foresight was because I had issues switching to another window manager. Maybe I could troubleshoot that, but it was neither obvious, nor documented, nor discussed enough for me to find it with casual searching.
2009-04-16ish review ∞
I see no way to select sda1. I don't want to nuke everything on my drive! FAIL.