I strongly appreciate a single-application single-tasking environment, because it forces you into a totally different mindset from the flurry of activity and noise one always has on an everyday "multitasking" computing environment these days. But since most of my day is spent completely surrounded by multiple applications all vying for my attention, I've come to expect to be able to swap my attention around whenever I want.
But there are situations and applications which explicitly deny multitasking.
It pisses me off so much to have basic functionality taken away from me. Maybe there really are underlying reasons, technical or otherwise, for an application to not multitask "properly" (for me), but it still pisses me off to no end.
A classic example is when a popup window unnecessarily stays "on top", obscuring that and other applications. Sometimes the popup window is stuck "on top", and it seems to explicitly ignore my unsetting that flag.
Some actual examples:
- Won't multitask with bookmarks in the sidebar.. page loading etc.
- Won't let you control-t or control-w when a plugin has focus.
Claws Mail 3.7.1
- Prevents you from doing quite a lot of things when it's checking mail.
- Has the perma-popup when the preference screen is shown.
- Bug 1963 - Preferences Templates Information Window Focus loss
Maybe I'll keep posting other applications as they annoy me.. Claws Mail's Bug 1963 really rubs me the wrong way.