These are notes for the game. I attempted to play it during beta, but I was unable.
Random notes ∞
I'm a min-max player, so the customization is intriguing. A proper classless system would have been nicer though.
During the opening animation or a cutscene, hide the mouse after 2 seconds of its inactivity.
The launcher's update check has a progress bar. The bar's texture is stretched, it should instead be "revealed".
My note ∞
There was an opportunity to write to Rift when signing up. This is what I wrote:
PvP isn't described at all. It MUST be completely optional and not impact PvE gameplay.
- Other games force PvP in quests, in areas and for fundamentally non-PvP achievements.
With great variety comes great imbalance.
- Min-maxers like myself will find ways to leverage different character builds to be completely overpowered in specific cases. This will cause a lot of whining throughout the player base as everyone wants to be at least as good as the next guy.
- You will be forced to make fundamental changes to abilities as all that whining becomes louder and louder, until you regret having so much variety.
- For the same reason, will be tempted to give similar abilities to all classes. "I want to be able to do that" etc. Not just for that but for technical reasons like party makeup. e.g. WoW had to implement heroism type abilities in other classes because Shamans were too considered necessary to live without. Don't be tempted to have overlap.. as with class x has spell x, class y has spell x but it's green.
I haven't seen proper gameplay videos. Why are developers always afraid to do a UI walkthrough? It's WAY more important to proper gamers[doesn't exist] to know about that stuff that see a bunch of waste-of-time pre-rendered trailer garbage.
And some more..
- Is there UI customization?
- Are there Addons / Extensions? Is there an API?
- Will there be WoW-armory type functionality?
- Will we be able to inspect other players to see their gear and talent build?
- With so much variety, assembling a proper team will mean inspecting people. That's a horrifying pain in the butt.
I have some big concerns about the graphics. I may be forced to buy hardware to play this game.
- Technically proficient.
- Decades of software testing, reviewing, etc. Fun times.
- Guild Wars - (2005 game) closed alpha tester.
- Warhammer Online closed beta tester.
- Starcraft 2 closed beta tester.
Awesome computer, awesome display, crappy onboard video. =(