Soon to enter into a loveless marriage with the king, a common woman's only hope lies in a daring rescue attempt.
A classic movie of fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love and miracles. This is a kid-friendly movie in the sense that the 80s didn't have kids who were complete pussies. There is hatred, danger, death and blood, and yes proper torture, and this is a fine family-friendly film.
The only flaw in this movie is the grandfather-narrator, who is terribly overdone to the point of distraction.
- 0:30 -- I don't know offhand what that video game is called.
- 1:00 -- I see a Commodore 64 disk drive next to the TV.
- 2:30 -- S. Morgenstern is not the author of that book, it's William Goldman.
- Uh. I guess see Economy of Greenland.
- 12:00 -- Wait, but he's going to kill her! He said so! Harm will definitely come to her!
- 13:00 -- She was already being put down.
- 13:30 -- Of course they're using the same wind.
- 16:30 -- Concept
- 32:15 -- Australia, History of Australia
- 33:00 -- Mortality salience
- 34:30 -- Building up an immunity to a poison is called Mithridatism.
- 39:30 -- You're alive. And you have a nasty moustache.
- 43:45 -- Patagonia
- 47:45 -- A proper wound, unlike so many movies.
- 49:45 -- Just how did he surprise-pull her up onto the horse?
- 54:00 -- That is a huge crown.
- 1:03:45 -- Oh god, that's so the wrong way to sharpen a blade.
- 1:04:15 -- "Dulcet", meaning sweet, pleasing or agreeable. I think he means pleasing.
- 1:05:30 -- She's out of focus.
- 1:15:00 -- What did he bite? The pill? Why?
1:16:45 -- What the fuck is a holocaust cloak?
- It's more literally a cloak of flames, but it's better-described as a fireproof cloak.
- Miracle Max was supposed to look like a cross between Casey Stengel[unknown prefix: w] and Billy Crystal[unknown prefix: w]'s grandmother.
The director's commentary is Jan 24, 2001.
- 14:15 -- She's dry!
- 28:12 -- When the shot is further back, rolling the giant over would have had his head hit the rock near him. Closer in, his body is further away and he can be safely rolled.
50:25 -- There's an odd double-take of him being hit on the head.
16:15 -- The ground near the edge of the cliff is all bouncy.