Upon hearing of his master's death, a man returns to Shanghai amidst tensions from its Japanese occupation, and learns there was foul play.
Quite a good movie, with all the basic elements. There's next to none of the B-movie cheese that's pervasive of such films, so it's good enough for everyday people.
I didn't keep this movie, but I edited the subtitles to remove closed-captioning and clean up some things that made no sense. They added text when the people weren't saying those words or weren't even saying anything..
- 0:15 -- Wow, immediate oldschool cheese.
- 1:00 -- Ugh, that title was hard to read.
- 2:30 -- Shanghai China
2:45 -- The Kokureeu Clan appears to be fictional.
- It's not The Kokuryūkai (The Black Dragon Society)
- 3:15 -- Jet Lee looks too young to be in school, especially compared to the ages of the other students.
- 5:00 -- Inserting a little comedy in there seemed very out-of-place.
- 6:15 -- Yes woman, distract from people getting seriously injured with your "stuff".
- 7:30 -- The Niguchi Clan appears to be fictional.
- 7:45 -- Where did all the beat-up guys go? There's only one there..
- 8:15 -- Litter, Pamphlet
- 8:30 -- Japan Self-Defense Forces
- 9:00 -- Japanese occupation of Shanghai (History of Shanghai), placing this during World War II.
- 9:15 -- Oh, I think he's dubbed. I thought he spoke Japanese.
- 10:30 -- The Chinese can tell Japanese and Chinese peoples apart.
18:00 -- Casual misandry.
- 18:30 -- And again, or perhaps that was just an error of choreography.
- 23:45 -- Pathology
- 25:00 -- I'm not sure how to link this. Perhaps Hepatotoxicity.
- 29:30 -- I wonder if the master smoked. His tobacco could have been poisoned.
- 43:00 -- Actually, she was out of the room when he said he was at Jing Wu at the time of the murder.
- 51:45 -- Will she be kidnapped?
- 1:02:15 -- Good thing his little break healed him back up.
- 1:08:15 -- Karate is Okinawan, and I'd bet it's pretty distant from Bushido.
- 1:12:15 -- We'll make it even.. with the power of theme music.
- 1:14:15 -- Biting is unsportsmanlike.
- 1:22:30 -- What. Not even an evening's worth of kata isn't enough to learn..
- 1:27:15 -- Haha, that's the best taunt ever. That just made this whole movie.
- 1:28:00 -- He clearly won and this is an illegal match.
- 1:29:15 -- Where's the other guy? He should be loitering around on the floor somewhere.
- 1:32:45 -- So why are they fighting anyway? The general found their old master's murderer, and he won an honourable challenge without killing their new master. Now our hero is just being a dick.
1:35:15 -- He pull the sword, the new master blocks with his body and dies, our hero becomes the new-new master.
- Well I was close.
- 1:39:45 -- Why is a random white guy there?
1:40:45 -- So who was the second body? Or was he smuggled out on the stretcher and still alive?