Aliens arrive, but nobody knows the first thing about talking to them.
This is another movie whose description would spoil it. With a rather mellow and thoughtful tone throughout, it pulls the viewer in. I think it will hold up well over time, too.
- 4:30 -- Portuguese language
- 6:15 -- That's some serious alarm action right there.
- 8:00 -- "That channel"..
- 9:30 -- Venezuela. This must be before it fell to complete Socialist-inspired shit.
- 15:00 -- God, the audio is so bad it's hard to make them out.
- 31:30 -- That's a canary, previously used for mining to determine if air quality is safe for humans.
- 41:00 -- .. but the story of "Canada" is..
- 45:00 -- It's a good observarion that they would be confused by the canary, and perhaps even associate the cage with their suits. I wonder how confusing the radio chatter is, even the background AM/FM news/entertainment bands.
- 49:00 -- Abbott and Costello
- 49:30 -- Proper procedure ought to be the two getting back in their suits, getting scrubbed, disrobing and then getting scrubbed again, and finally separation from everyone.
- 50:00 -- All allied countries ought to be mimicking one another's progress to see if the aliens cooperate.
- 51:15 -- I don't see how there would be any outside contact allowed.
- 53:45 -- Sheena Easton - hit song
- 56:15 -- How is it possible to "hide" in an area that's cordoned off?
- 58:00 -- .. why would anyone working there have any contact with the outside?
- 59:30 -- I had to turn subtitles on to understand her kid saying "Want to see my project for Miss Garriott's class?"
- 1:02:00 -- Sapir-Worf hypothesis, which was disproved.
- 1:05:15 -- Why haven't they been trying to show symbols, to start basic? Earlier they said that algebra was "too simple", so maybe that doesn't work.
- 1:08:00 -- The name for it wasn't coined from Hungary, but from Turkey (The Ottoman Imperial Government, and it's "genocide".
- 1:19:00 -- Langley, Virginia - George Bush Center for Intelligence - (Central Intelligence Agency)
- 1:36:30 -- "Hannah", Palindrome
- 1:45:30 -- Chemtrails!
1:50:30 -- .. and she teaches her child to "really understand" their language..
This movie spends way the fuck too much time being confusing and sappy at the end..
1:45 -- Oh great, narration. So we know this character makes it just fine.
- Maybe a new viewer should watch the movie starting at 4:15.
- 4:45 -- Portuguese language, Linguistics
- 6:15 -- What. Why would there be a siren like that?
- 14:30 -- As part of a national state of emergency, were it shared by a number of countries, the stock exchanges would be frozen.
- 23:30 -- 15 minutes is not enough time to get suited up. They should skip a cycle and get more information, get prepared and rested.
- 31:30 -- That's some form of canary, perhaps a simple domestic canary. This is a reference to the canaries used in coal mining. They would die if the atmosphere got poisonous and would be a warning for humans to evacuate.
- 31:45 -- It seems obvious they would also be listening to and perhaps communicating with the bird in mind. It's making quite a racket.
- 32:00 -- Assuming that's actual transparency, it seems obvious they have a different atmosphere.
- 34:15 -- Right from the first recording, I wondered if they would be better off with an oceanographer of some sort, as these sound something like whales. That and other experts with animals.
- 35:45 -- Playing with arranging coloured blocks might be a good start. Body language was an earlier consideration of mine.
- 39:45 -- No, she's been working with the trinity of communication. Spoken, written and body language. Mapping all three is a sort of Rosetta Stone.
- 44:00 -- Showing and naming objects and checking for consistency and mimicry will establish some measure of intelligence when they can add them together in novel ways.
- 44:45 -- No, you should begin by saying "human" and have them repeat the symbol they painted earlier.
- 50:00 -- Now have name tags with your names on them, and present their symbols and put them next to each of them. Try to have them mimic your names out to you.
53:45 -- Sheena Easton
- What about altitude, temperature, magnetism, or some combination of other then-phenomena or consistent phenomena?
- 55:30 -- Have they not studied the writing as it is being done? As in, checking how it settles over time into its stable form.
1:02:00 -- The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is bullshit.
- .. and she's calling it a theory.
- 1:07:30 -- I see she was dubbed-over.
- 1:08:15 -- The name for it in Hungary would be genocide.
1:19:15 -- Well the two protagonists know the aliens know they're not trying to attack, as they would have died in that blast. The protagonists also know the aliens don't mean them harm since they rescued them in pushing them out.
- Also, the tapping said a lot to me, and felt like pointing.
- 1:35:45 -- Why would there be people loitering underneath that one? Did it shift positions?
1:36:45 -- Did they just give up on decontamination?
[ + ]