A console RSS reader.
For what it is, I like it. I don't think I'll either rely on RSS, or even the console, enough to use this.
- 2014-05-15 - 0.7.10 on Lubuntu 14.04
- 2009-08-13 - 0.7.2 on Unity Linux 0.99-alpha2
2014-05-15 - 0.7.10 ∞
- Don't update feeds on startup.
- Needs to collapse all entries by default.
- Need to remove the blank lines between entries, when they are collapsed.
Is there a way to impose a specific delay on updating feeds, or sets of feeds?
- For example, when updating many feeds YouTube will silently fail at one point and all feeds past a certain point will show the following feeds as broken even when they exist and may or may not have updates. There is a hidden timer, past which a single update on any of those "broken" feeds will correctly reveal any update.
- The default link handler should be:
link_handler( "x-www-browser \"%u\"" )
Automatic discovery of RSS would be nice.
- Is there a way to group feeds?
canto -ooutputs an OPML-compatible list of Canto's RSS feeds. I'd like separate tags included, for any other information such as tags.
- It's possible to create a valid OPML file which has additional information.
- I'd love to be able to export the additional format to then be able to hand-edit the file for import to another reader.
This is the output from Canto:
<outline text="spiralofhope" xmlUrl="http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/base/users/spiralofhope/uploads?alt=rss&v=2&orderby=published&client=ytapi-youtube-profile" type="rss" />
This is the OPML from Liferea:
<outline title="Uploads by spiralofhope" text="Uploads by spiralofhope" description="Uploads by spiralofhope" type="rss" id="acpgfgl" sortColumn="time" sortReversed="false" viewMode="0" xmlUrl="http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/base/users/spiralofhope/uploads?alt=rss&v=2&orderby=published&client=ytapi-youtube-profile" htmlUrl="http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxJUvkYT98edJTda0ziGy9Q/videos" updateInterval="-1" collapsed="true"/>
2009-08-13 - 0.7.2 ∞
smart-root install libpython-devel libcursesw-devel su python setup.py install
install http://chardet.feedparser.org/ with
python setup.py install
install http://www.feedparser.org/ with
python setup.py install
canto runs, talks about some default feeds and then segfaults. Fail.
I did already delete my
~/.canto .. no change.
2009-04-20 - 0.6.10 ∞
apt-get install libpython2.5-devel libncursesw5-devel python-chardet
I installed feedparser-4.1
- The man page has an example, why isn't that in
- Oh! I was editing the config file and I wanted to clean up the nasty whitespacing. But it broke the config. Oh right, it's Python. Shit.
No complaints, it's really wonderful.