Based on Arch Linux and made to be a better out of the box experience.
Inspired by CrunchBang Linux
- Need to not track recent documents
- Replace gnome-MPlayer with VLC
- what other gnome crap is there?
UUID=WHATEVER /mnt/mountpoint users,exec,noatime,nodiratime,compress=lzo 0 2
Need to fix the theme, it's annoying in some places:
- scroll bar
- tabs of a terminal
shiny shiny anything anywhere.. ugh tabs in Firefox
thebearisn't bad.. the top toolbar is too big, the bottom is too small.. no sides?
- change the wallpaper
- adjust the taskbar style, it's tint2
port my preferences..
\pacman -Ss string
To list a dependency tree of a package:
Download a package without installing it:
\pacman -Sw package_name
Install a 'local' package that is not from a remote repository
\pacman -U /path/to/package/package_name-version.pkg.tar.xz
To remove a package and its dependencies which are not required by any other installed package:
\pacman -Rs package_name
NOTE - don't clear the cache unless it's really needed..
To list all the packages depending on a package:
FIXME - there is no
pactree seems to work.
I may need to do this for anything I have for an airwall, then download all those dependencies and any sub-dependencies, and so on.. yuk.
To search for already installed packages:
\pacman -Qs strings
To display extensive information about a given package:
\pacman -Si package_name
Part of my 2011-08-12 Linux testing nightmare.
My pre-installation notes:
Super-tfor a terminal
- set up the clock
- prep the HDD
- configure (root pass, add a user)
- install GRUB
sudo passwd rootor the default password is 'root'.
- The installer does this.
The installer guided me through all of this, all I needed to know was how to get a terminal and begin the install. Shouldn't the first run already do this, or shouldn't there be a desktop icon? Oh hell, are they doing things "the Arch way" ?
Couldn't delete an old
ldlinux.sysoff of my USB, so I reformatted (ext2), which took a long time.
A bit too braindead, no dependency resolution..
2011-02-04 x86_64 ∞
- failed to find the usb when booting
safe mode also fails
2011-02-04 i686 ∞
Waiting 30 seconds for device
- Looks and feels good.
- Simple and somewhat 'simple' (nearly retarded) text install.
- Had to not bother with any of my data partitions, it was too retarded. I'll do that in fstab manually. Editing fstab was easily done with the installer.
- No 'user' group was made.
- Console root login tries to launch X.. what the fuck?
- creating a new user does nothing, no setup. I had to edit
~/.initrcto add openbox. So this needs serious tweaking!
- my first
pacman -Sy wineneeded an upgrade, then
pacman doesn't fucking resolve dependencies?!?!
- I tried installing Firefox and Midori, and they downloaded and installed, and with some other software, but both wouldn't actually start up.
gnome-packagekit doesn't actually install anything GUI .. what the fuck is going on?
Checking out CTKArch.