Based on Debian, before it used systemd.
2011-08-12 - (version not recorded) 64bit ∞
This was tested during my 2011-08-12 Linux testing nightmare.
Moved to this after Linux Mint Debian Edition's massive failure with package management.
- Regular unetbootin just had a segfaulting X loop,
- I did a text install
- Wonderful text installer!
- A smart/easy GRUB install
- First boot gave a massive amount of errors, then booted into X.
The first run stuff is neat, but requires a new user to see!
- What is that 'first run' command?
- I thought I had broken my motherboard audio, and so I wanted to change my default ALSA sound device, which is obnoxious on Linux.
- Wine says: Install lib32nss-mdns or ia32-libnss-mdns // or uninstall libnss-mdns
Warcraft complained that my video was not supported (needs dual-TMU support)
- Do I use the ATI proprietary drivers? Played with them, and they're _complete garbage_.
- I couldn't find Firefox, but that's because Debian repackages it as "Iceweasel". But that's 3.5! Eww!
/etc/kbd/configediting could be cool
- console font
- keyboard rate
- raw console screen saver
- There's a nice Debian customizing FAQ.
unetbootin required ia32-libs-gtk, as the binary is 32bit and I am amd64.
This distro just feels hackish and unpolished, like I would need to do a lot of work to get it going.
Checking out Mandriva Linux.
(Aww shit, I fucking overwrote my Unity Linux USB key with Crunchbang, argh!)
After Mandriva Linux and Mageia failed to even boot, I came back to check out the 32bit.
2011-08-12 - (version not recorded) 32bit ∞
- oh! I was just impatient with the 64bit USB boots, the graphical installer of this one just took a bit to boot up.
- The GUI installed failed miserably it "couldn't find the cd".. I'm booting from a USB device.
Textmode also fails.
CrunchBang 64bit -> fucked if I know how to make wine work.
video drivers are hell
Checking out Lubuntu.
2011-07-23 - (version not recorded) - 64bit ∞
- Hackish and unpolished. It feels like I would need to do a lot of work to get everything set up.
2011-07-23 - (version not recorded) - 32bit ∞
Played around a bit, got to hate Wine some more..
I used this for as long as until 2011-08-11.