Yet another VoIP client.
A clumsy "pretends to be pretty" interface, but it seems reasonable enough. Definitely not better than Mumble for the basics.
It might be better-suited for large groups, or because it has a free server, or some other thing I haven't discovered. I'll keep it in my toolbox, but I don't really like it.
- User suggestions
- 2018-09-27 - I have an earlier note that says "doesn't highlight/dim on pale moon, disables bookmark sidebar drag-and-drop"
- Some UI improvements have been sneaking in. It's nice to see active updates.
Requests create a ticket that tracks the conversation. Yay!
- They also send me an email. Double yay!
For each item below, I submitted a less-whiney support ticket. They very easily accept such tickets. Well done, guys!
Implement support thread comment-editing.
- Deletion already exists. Since I can already delete and re-create a comment, just have comment editing to make things easier.
- There's no easy way to link to a particular comment in their support threads.
I get popup notifications for every channel. That's a fucking stupid default.
- There's no feature for notifications from the current channel only. Do the Discord developers even IRC?
- support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/204849987-What-are-Direct-Messages-PM-DM-?page=1 (not archived)
Can't clear text ∞
update: There's a gear icon to the right of each message and I can delete one comment at a time. Not really a solution for a lot of messages, but I guess it'll have to do for trolling and doxxing. Maybe banning people removes their messages too, I don't know.
I want to clear text. Hell, I want it automatically cleared regularly. I don't see a way to do that. I want
I figure maybe I can clone the channel then delete the old one. I can't because it's the default one.
Maybe I can remove read permissions from it. I can't because it's the default one.
Earliest look ∞
- It's impressive that the desktop application and web app were so similar. I've never seen that before.
- A proper changelog, with its history, is phenomenal to see. That's rare.
- A lot of the configuration and use is awkward. Not just clunky but nearly unusable unobvious. They're trying too hard to be "simple" and are burying things in odd places.
The invite concept was odd to wrap my brain around.
How is it free? ∞
Q (Ihm): What's the plans as far as covering server costs and such go? You've said it's free so how do you plan on covering costs and making money back?
A (Jason): So I'll talk about how we plan to make money. Stan can talk about how much servers cost and scaling it.
Our plan is to keep the functionality -- the core usability -- free. So everything you're using right now will stay free. Voice, text, mobile, all stay free. Almost all the new features will be free. Deep integrations and overlays and slash commands and bots -- all free.
Our plan is to sell optional cosmetic things. One example is what Stan just mentioned: TTS features like selling voice packs. Something like the Unreal Tournament announcer packs. Selling themes, sticker packs, fancy elaborate emoji, sound packs, different sound effects, etc, are still up in the air but it's what we're planning to do.
As a note, part of the reason we're not looking to make money right now is that we have raised funding from VCs in Silicon Valley. This is the second company I've started and the last one raised funding and did very well. We're not stressed looking for money -- we're focused on building an amazing product and bringing real value to you guys.
If we successfully deliver that we will figure out money next.
Batch deleting your posts ∞
Using AutoHotkey, with the hotkey
Once you're satisfied, you'll have to kill autohotkey or it will keep looping and step all over other channels you might surf to.